Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GM Windlass 32 v Up/Down wiring diagram

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a wiring diagram for 32v GM windlass with 2 solenoids.
    Thanks in advance
    Michael S.
    1986 63' Hatteras MY "Gracie" with 7' euro transom extension
    Hull #306
    imported from Kent Island, MD to Sydney, Australia in April 2011.

Re: GM Windlass 32 v Up/Down wiring diagram

Call Rick at GalleyMaid. He'll email it to you.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I just pulled one off my 46. It had a jumper from one post to another as mine only had a foot switch for up. But after looking at the diagrams it seems any will do up and down if wired so.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Don't have a diagram but its fairly simple. I had a foot switch go out and reversed two of the small solenoid wires so the "down" button became "up" until I could get home and get a new switch. I think mine has the diagram on the back of the electrical panel cover. Did you check there?

Are you having issues that require getting into this?
    The kids at Galley Maid are great on the phones also.

It has a down button, but the book says to use the clutch and free fall the anchor down...... So when does one use the down button?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    It has a down button, but the book says to use the clutch and free fall the anchor down...... So when does one use the down button?
    The issue has been discussed many times. The GM doesn’t have a bearing to handle load on the way down so they recommend using free fall by releasing the clutch. With light load using power down is fine according to Rick at GM
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    One of our customers had an issue with his GM. After a gear replacement and other repairs, he was reminded to lower by free falling lots more than power down.
    Seems the gear back lash was not designed for pushing, just pulling. So, start if off the pulpit, then let loose slowly and set scope slowly were instructions.
    These are still 50+ year old designs. Bless them for making a fine pulling winch, but read your manual, not for paying out.

There is a big and finely built wrench for slacking the clutch nut. I had to build the customer a new wrench.
    These days, All is good.

Mind you, days in the rain, yes, drop that anchor electrically, that is why it is there. Very small reverse duty cycle.

I don't think you have to worry about powering down. Use it until you have an issue and then have it rebuilt. Most won't ever use it enough to ever have a problem. I had GM rebuild mine 17 years ago and I've been powering it down ever since. If it lasts 20 years before rebuild, I'll be happy. What else can you buy today that lasts that long?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Call Rick at GalleyMaid. He'll email it to you.

I emailed Rick at GM about 4 days ago and he has not replied.

Both up and down worked on mine until the solenoids burned out. I just wanted to make sure the marine electrician wired them correctly.
    Michael S.
    1986 63' Hatteras MY "Gracie" with 7' euro transom extension
    Hull #306
    imported from Kent Island, MD to Sydney, Australia in April 2011.