Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: What have I done?

You can get the original manual from Hatteras Yachts. Sam's have a great deal of depth in parts, knowledge and experience. There is no other boat that is as well-supported as a Hatteras Yacht. We also have owners of other makes on this forum because of the breadth of experience and knowledge. Welcome to the club.

There is no substitute for a lot of time on your boat. Like Juice said, in a few months you and she will be old friends.

We too have jumped into owning a Hatteras out of the blue for retirement travel, We have only had smaller blow boats and a ski boat prior, the fuel management is really like everyone said pull and return fuel to same tank, I was already very familiar with DD 671's, from construction equipment, same but different in many ways. I do transfer fuel from our aft tank to centerline tank fuel, management valves are clearly marked , we'll pull from aft tank return to centerline tank and it transfers very fast. Our tanks are not quite as large as yours but the center tank is the only feed the generator, and full only has 90 gallons with aft around 295. Everything on these boats impress me with the quality fit and finish. Our 43DC is 41 years old and we wouldn't trade down to a much newer plastic boat. Welcome to the forum there are a bunch of great guys with tons and tons of information with a side dish of humor added in.
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

Jim43dc, it sounds like you are living life with no regrets. I signed all of the final documents today for the purchase of my 48 cpmy. Funds transferred tomorrow. As I am sure all of you remember your days before taking possession of your Hatteras, my mind is racing with lists of lists. Things to check, verify and supply. Provisioning a boat from absolute zero to fully sea worthy gives anyone a glimpse into the mind of an obsessive compulsive disordered person. I have a notepad I have partially filled with inventories and concerns as well as things to learn about and questions to ask. I know this gal has some issues I need to deal with sooner than later but in the end I will make her right. Restoring her to her ultimate condition will be a blast as well as a good reason to drink. I feel like a kid at Christmas.

For anyone interested in the boat I bought:
    https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...yacht-3732620/

I successfully took possession of my 1994 48 cpmy. I managed to get it 35 miles south to a new Marina. I even went through a bit of a squall with 40mph winds and 4-5 foot waves. Super impressed how she handled the waves. I understand completely why Hatteras has the reputation they have. Stunningly stable. I did find I had a damp salon carpet on the starboard side and when I went into the engine room I discovered about a half inch of water in the walkway between the engines. Looking at it I was a bit puzzled by that as the walkway between the engines is a fiberglass tub so to speak. There was no way for the water to get there yet there it was. The previous owner stated he had never had any problem with water and that he had driven through rougher seas than 4 footers. All of the windows were replaced and resealed in 2019. I realize asking for input or ideas is futile as there are an unlimited number of ways for water to get into a boat…..yet……?

Maybe not. That sounds about right for a keel leak. Sounds worse than it is.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

On our '85 43' my we had issues with the bilge pump thru hulls not having a high enough loop to prevent water from flowing into the bilge and holding tank. We planed out over Oneida once and it filled the holding tank. .
    Other times the aft shower bilge would cycle full/empty. Adding to the loop height made a difference. Check the bilge pump loop for that area and ensure it goes up the side of the hull.
    Regards
    Dan

4DF577CD-7887-476F-8931-8113F62680A9.jpgWhat is this? It’s under my helm

Air compressor for horns, I believe.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

That makes sense. The trumpets are mounted right outside. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phasma2128 View Post
    Attachment 50824What is this? It’s under my helm
    That's a proper compressor. Mine actually had a rusty version of this under the helm for the horn...which seemed just ridiculous to me.

41Vc3cbgYPL._SR600,315_PIWhiteStrip,BottomLeft,0,35_SCLZZZZZZZ_FMpng_BG255,255,255.jpg

I hate clutter and threw it all in the trash - and bought a new, cheap stainless double horn set on Ebay.
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 06-21-2021 at 09:57 PM.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C