Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: What have I done?

First night on the Hatteras. Yesterday when it was 85 outside all 3 AC units kept it cool inside. This morning it is 45 degrees. The two staterooms are toasty warm but the main salon will only blow cold air. There is an SMX ir on the wall. I believe it is a cruisair compressor. I have an electronics background but know very little about AC/heat systems. Any idea where to start?
    Last edited by Phasma2128; 06-22-2021 at 08:19 AM.

Its quite possible that the one unit is not set to automatic which would stop it from reversing to heat. Get the smx manual out and check the operating parameters, its easy to set up.

Walt Hoover

I found the manual online. The programming instructions start out referring to the SMX ir control then half way through refers to SMX 2. It doesn’t seem to want to let me program the electric heat function. I did a factory reset. It said the heat is turned off by default.

Simpson Lawrence V2000 windlass is shorted. It blew the ANL-50 50 amp fuse behind the panel. A jump box confirmed it was shorted. It put on quite a light show in the bow. Who knew you could weld with a jump box?

ahhhh another day with the new boat. I’m trying to figure out how to dismount the flat panel TV in the salon. It says it is an LG hdmi tv but someone pinched and cut the hdmi cable. I can’t seem to reach the cable to replace it as it is inside the retracting box. I tried to just unscrew the mount but that didn’t work. The wood box would not let go. It hung on more than my ex-wife. Anyone have any ideas?

image.jpg
    Last edited by Phasma2128; 06-22-2021 at 06:01 PM.

Reach up underneath and see if there is a pull cord to release the bottom part of the TV mount. If so that will let the bottom swing out and then push set up to unhinge at the top. Looks tight but if they got it in it will come out the came way.

As for the windlass I just installed a Good Automatic Windlass on my 46. Have one on my 34 that works better hurt than a simpson lawrence will brand new. And it's only hurt do to operator error! (Me)
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Thanks madhatter! I am slowly making my way through this list of issues. Never owned a new boat and never will unless my lottery numbers come through in which case there is a Norhavn I have my eye on. In the mean time I only buy used boats with issues every 4 or 5 years. I must be a masochist.

Quote Originally Posted by Phasma2128 View Post
    Thanks madhatter! I am slowly making my way through this list of issues. Never owned a new boat and never will unless my lottery numbers come through in which case there is a Norhavn I have my eye on. In the mean time I only buy used boats with issues every 4 or 5 years. I must be a masochist.
    Make no mistake, new boats with their modern electronics and electrical systems come with squawk lists as long as yours. And in this day and age you don't want to count on a dealership taking care of things properly, and in a timely fashion. So headaches either way, might as well save a boatload of money.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Amen to that. At least with a used boat you know to expect a punch list. With a new boat, you have the illusion that everything will work as it's supposed to. Which seems very unlikely.

I think the first thing I'd do with a new boat would be to get a survey.

My first marina I was in also had three slips reserved for a local builder (Neptunus Yachts). I have watched new boats leave the place with a crew of workers still onboard to finish it before being delivered to the owners.

Walt Hoover

I agree on the new boat issue, I was hired to survey an almost new (2020) Riviera, which is a good quality boat, I questioned why they needed a survey and got my answer when I found things like a bilge pump not working and a few other things like that. The hardest thing was trying to figure out how to turn things on with the electronic keypad controlling everything. I don’t know how anyone can live with those things. To test the stove you had to know what they call it, I think it was the cooker, then go through the menu to find it so you can turn it on. Even the young tech types on board were having a hard time with the system. Give me a simple breaker panel any day. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.