Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Onan carb rebuild?

Have a 87 Hattie with an Onan gas generator. Wants to start but won’t turn over. Suggested fixes include a carburetor rebuild. Has anyone done this before? Is there a kit for it or is their a parts replacement website that would be easier? Any idea on costs for a rebuild? Any suggestions would be helpful. Pretty much the last thing to shine up for selling her.
    Attached Images
    Regards, Larry1987 Hatteras 40’ Double CabinCurrently named Wild Honey Located in Clearwater, Florida1st time boat owner!

Re: Onan carb rebuild?

Your post isn’t very clear. Will the engine turn over but not start and run? There could be several things keeping it from running. It should have a high temp and low oil pressure shut down that will keep it from starting. It could also be a stuck needle in the carb preventing gas from getting to the carb bowl. Give it a short whiff of starting fluid while you crank it to see if it’s a fuel or ignition issue. The carb isn’t difficult to rebuild if you can find some decent carb cleaner to soak the body in.

It is a simple carburetor. Gasket kits are still supported by Cummins/Oh-no.
    Some (SOME) other parts are still available.
    Sadly, You will never get a Cummins tech out there to work on it.

If your boat is a keeper (at least for a while), please consider a newer (CO compliant) gen-set.

Keep in mind, lives may be threatened by that gen-set.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 06-14-2021 at 09:59 PM.

Contact James Cleveland at Cleveland Diesel or Anclote Diesel. Both in Tarpon Springs FL. James is a smaller outfit. Anclote is bigger but has several qualified techs. Wayne at Anclote is an outstanding guy. Either will get you up and running.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

If it wont turn over a carb rebuild will not fix anything. Check all the battery connections, the starter solenoid and turn the flywheel by hand with the spark plugs removed.

Walt Hoover

I have an identical genset and had problem with it starting and running and carrying a load. Got new points and condenser from Onan (Montreal) and confirmed the spark was good. New shielded plugs too. Timing was off and not easy to check. Get a tech manual. It then started good and ran for a short time before shutting down. Checked the fuel and found there was none. Now believe the the fuel in the tank was below the generator pickup level. Confirmed that and also confirmed the generator would run if it had fuel. So, once i fill the tanks I expect the problem to be solved. Oh, and I sprayed in a good amount of carb cleaner while it was running. Quite a simple engine, actually, read it was designed for military use with the shielded ignition system.
    Last edited by Maurice; 06-15-2021 at 08:10 AM.

Thank you all for the suggestions and I’ll look into either having it tuned up (with the Local suggested techs) or just leave it as I’m selling it. Thank you all for your time.
    Regards, Larry1987 Hatteras 40’ Double CabinCurrently named Wild Honey Located in Clearwater, Florida1st time boat owner!