Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1981 Hatteras 43c Prop Shafts

Good morning. I have a question about the prop shafts on our 1981 Hatteras 43c. I noticed there is a large (possibly a coupler) about 2 1/2' up from the props on the shaft. It is about 10" long and has 4 recessed bolts on it. Is this a coupler that attaches two shafts together? I am not familiar with this set up. At first I thought it might have been an anode, but if that was the case, it would be a very large anode!

I wanted to make sure I knew what this piece of equipment is moving forward. Attached is the best picture I could find that shows what I am referring to. Is this piece of equipment typical on older Hatts.
    IMG_5194.jpg
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Hat43c1981; 06-14-2021 at 10:47 AM.

Re: 1981 Hatteras 43c Prop Shafts

On my boat the shaft is in 2 pieces and there is a coupler. Right behind the strut. Zincs are off in this picture.
    Attached Images
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    On my boat the shaft is in 2 pieces and there is a coupler. Right behind the strut. Zincs are off in this picture.
    Thanks! I was wondering if my shafts were two separate shafts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hat43c1981 View Post
    Thanks! I was wondering if my shafts were two separate shafts.
    Not saying yours are, but mine are.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Most likely a muff coupling, and yes it is probably a two-piece shaft.

On some boats, it is possible to replace the two-piece shaft with a one-piece one; they are said to balance better and run smoother. If I'm not mistaken, the process of installing the single-piece shaft requires raising the boat higher up during the haulout, in order to slide the longer one-piece shaft in.

When I have heard of an owner going to a one-piece shaft, IIRC it was always in the context of having to do major service work down there and the one-piece shafts were a "while you're in there".

That is correct. I have a 79 43C with the same setup.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Most likely a muff coupling, and yes it is probably a two-piece shaft.

On some boats, it is possible to replace the two-piece shaft with a one-piece one; they are said to balance better and run smoother. If I'm not mistaken, the process of installing the single-piece shaft requires raising the boat higher up during the haulout, in order to slide the longer one-piece shaft in.

When I have heard of an owner going to a one-piece shaft, IIRC it was always in the context of having to do major service work down there and the one-piece shafts were a "while you're in there".
    Thanks Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    That is correct. I have a 79 43C with the same setup.
    Thanks Bob. I am experiencing a bit of a vibration at cruising speed on the port side. If I stand in the cockpit floor, on top of where the shaft would be, I can feel a decent vibration in the floor. Not sure if this coupling might have worked itself loose. I just had the props reconditioned as well. Cutlass bearing seemed to be fine. No play.

I had such a coupling come apart once while operating in reverse to enter a slip ... not fun. They can come loose and come apart. Suggest it be investigated. of course, while operating in forward gear they are held together.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
    I had such a coupling come apart once while operating in reverse to enter a slip ... not fun. They can come loose and come apart. Suggest it be investigated. of course, while operating in forward gear they are held together.
    Hadn't thought of that yet...... I've had a one piece shaft do that, pulled itself out of the coupling on the gears. Gets your attention, especially since I only had one of them.

PO left me with a spare short shaft. (The piece that the prop mounts on.) Hope to never need it.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay