Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gc 8

Re: Gc 8

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    If you have to parallel to start, then you have lost your backup. The reason the battery banks were originally oversized was to provide starting capability from one bank. Once they start to degrade, you would still be able to start, even in cold temps. The parallel switch was for emergency use only. Once you have to parallel, its time to replace batteries.
    Thats what I was doing. Bank was 4 years old. As for block heat I haven't turned those on in years. Fifty is a cold day here.

When I started to use the parallel switch I was planning on buying batteries but started checking with my load tester first. That's when I decided to invest in replacement of the battery cables. That has made a world of difference, fires right up and no switch required. Another link in the chain worth investigating.

Walt Hoover

I'm 2 years into using Crown 8 volt gc batteries for my 1292's. I doubled them up and did 8 per bank and they have been great. The battery shop that recommended them said they have many Hatteras owners going this way and they average 7 years from them. Lifting 16 small batteries in and out of the hole is a lot easier than 8 big batteries too. The cost was also a big factor. I understand you have to pay to play but at some point there has to be a limit. All 16 batteries and cables to connect them cost me around $1,200, so I can replace them a few times before I get to the Rolls or Deka price.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Oscar I easily put 4 in my battery box and now have an extra box. Scott say what you want about the Sams garbage I really don't care. I hate going to big box places but I needed some batteries as I had a trip this weekend. They had 3 in stock, all had 6/21 as a date of manufacture. I needed a fourth and didn't want to leave my boat without a house bank until they got more later this week so I went to the coveted NAPA and paid $159 for the same $106 battery from Sams. Got it home and noticed a bulge at the top. Put the volt meter on it and it measures 5.61 volts. The Sams ones all measured 8.3 and up. After charging all night it is up to 7.6 volts but I am probably taking it back. So I paid $53 more for a piece of crap and got 3 good ones from Sams.

I did not start this thread to debate what kind of batteries are supposed to be on my boat. I started it in case anyone has the same question I had about cranking my engines. Its my boat and my money. I would rather pay $400 and change every year than $4000 for a battery bank that may or may not last any longer. If the $4000 ones had a 10 year warranty I may go that route but I haven't seen that yet. I know you get what you pay for but you can also pay alot more and get something crappy. I did replace my 4D 12V generator battery with a NAPA one that worked just fine. I think the age of the stock has alot to do with what you get and high volume places my tend to keep newer stock on the shelf.

Attachment 50634
    Attachment 50635

So, is that the common practice, using 8 batteries per bank when using golf cart batteries? For 8v71s as well?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    So, is that the common practice, using 8 batteries per bank when using golf cart batteries? For 8v71s as well?
    Not sure that it's common, but it makes common sense. Quality batteries in the 22" range weigh 120 pounds....... The GC's weigh half of that. Lot easier to maneuver. And, not all GC's are deep cycle only. My Rolls specifically gave a CCA rating, both cold and Marine.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    I'm not sure if its common practice or not. Before I purchased the crowns I spoke to tech support at Trojan and they said while they don't post cold cranking amps they have a number for internal testing. I think it was around 550. I just went with 8 because they would fit and in my mind 8 was better than 4. When I bought my boat one side had 4 Trojan gc batteries and the other side had the Deka batteries. I never had a problem with the 4 starting my 1292's but figured more is always better.