Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: $0.69

$0.69

There's a saying in aviation that checklists are written in blood. I have a checklist on the boat. It's flow is just like it was in the cockpit...... Before Start-After Start-Before Shutdown etc.... It contains items out of the Hatteras manual and my add ons. It is updated regularly. I print it, I laminate it and I use it. Every time.

$0.69 is what I paid for the part missing in the picture below.......

I don't know how long it's been like that. One of the challenges doing checklists in the cockpit was always to not just LOOK but to SEE. Devious simulator instructors would put something out of place and if you said "CHECK" he would stop the proceedings and say....."IS IT?" So I try to LOOK AND SEE, every time. So maybe it just happened, maybe I finally caught it. But the bottom line is that I caught it, and fixed it.
    Attached Images
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: $0.69

E clips are what, page 183 right below deck-fill cap torque? New Bern, we have a problem.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

It is amazing how many of these scenes I have tripped over working on customers boats.
    Darn cables do seem to stay in place sometimes.
    Use to keep a kit of E & hair-pin clips in the van. Better than a washer and twisted paper clip I have done (emergency only) in the past.

4. Re: $0.69

I thought the technical name for those was Jesus clips, as in JESUS where did that clip go?
    Beachcomber
    Former 3 Hat owner
    Home port Paducah, KY

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    I thought the technical name for those was Jesus clips, as in JESUS where did that clip go?
    As in "Jezus Bolts" of which (according to me and my fellow fixed wing aviators) there are waaaay too many on a helicopter and I always thought it was because of the first word out of the pilot's mouth when one lets go.....

Of course in my case that would make it a F&^K!!!!! bolt.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Mine uses cotter pins through a hole. Think this is very reliable. It's one of the small parts with no stress on it. And if the cable is fastened correctly it won't wiggle off ... but i still installed new cotter pins after adjusting the cables that badly needed adjusting. Tightened up several bolts in the process ... bolts that had never been checked by the PO in about 10 years. In fact, after buying this boat last fall, I have checked many bolts and screws throughout the vessel and found that about 80% were loose or partly loose. Many I believe had never been checked in 48 years ... thank God its a Hatteras.

BTW, That Juses nut on a rotor requires one heck if a torque multiplier wrench set. The correct and complete sets are very, very, very expensive.
    If there is tech that has not lost a rotor and knows the correct service methods in rotor servicing, him & his tools are worth their weight in gold.

Any chance u could post your checklist? Know that every boat is different, but its easier to be an editor than an author.
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

BEFORE START

Blinds
    Life Vests Out
    Engine heat

GENERATOR/BATTERY ROOM

Generator coolant level
    Generator oil level
    Fuel filter check
    Battery switch on
    Bilge
    Start Switch “Auto”

ENGINE ROOMS

Raw water inlets

Engine coolant levels
    Engine oil levels
    Emergency air shutdowns open
    Throttle and gear cables secure
    Fuel filters check
    Steering system level and pressure
    Battery disconnect
    Fuel levels
    Fuel manifold
    Bilges

AFT STATEROOM

Rudder stuffing boxes
    Steering linkage

LOWER HELM

Check Fuel Shutoffs
    Navigation
    VHF
    Lights
    Rudder position indicator
    Rudder check
    Alarm system
    32V Charger Off

SETUP FLYBRIDGE

AFTER START

Water discharge
    Engine room visual
    Engine heat off
    Air building
    Oil pressure alarm
    AIS on

BEFORE SHUTDOWN

Gear oil level

AIS OFF

AFTER SHUTDOWN

Fans if needed
    Rudder position indicator
    Ignition Off
    Engine rooms
    32VDC Charger On
    Stuffing boxes
    Rudders

BEFORE LEAVING

Doors & Windows
    Garbage
    Breakers: WH/WP/Black tank gauges
    Lights/IT
    Flag
    Sound
    Through Hulls
    iPad

Last edited by oscarvan; 06-12-2021 at 09:22 PM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

In my long-ago flying days I was taught to have all electronics off before engine start. I have continued this on Fanfare (even for the generator) because the momentary starter voltage drop causes some of my electronics to recycle which may not be too good for them. With most gear duplicated between the lower station and the flybridge this gives me about five minutes of engine time before departure, enough for a final check of temperatures, voltage and pressures. I have caught a few problems just in time using these procedures.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932