Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oil Filter Housing for M20 Transmission

The oil filter housing on my Allison M20 trans is extremely corroded. Previous owner ignored a water leak. Any ideas on where to get a new/used replacement? Any thoughts on what make/model canister style retrofit gear might be suitable? It's on my Gulfstar 49 with 6V71's.

Thanks,
    Allan

Re: Oil Filter Housing for M20 Transmission

When in doubt, what does the owners manual state?

Yup, that's where I started. No part number shown for the filter housing in the massive Detroit manuals. Allison dealers can't find it. 36 year old boat, transmission out of production. I'm now considering a spin-on filter retrofit.

I'd just remove it and sandblast it, but it looks like it's been buried in wet sand at the beach for a few years, haha. Salt water leak from around the turbo right above it, dripping on it.

Forget the canister. Convert to a spin-on. Once you remove the lower canister portion, you bolt on an adapter and you're good to go. Any DD dealer will sell the conversion setup to you. I did mine years ago and it makes filter changes much easier and cleaner.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Forget the canister. Convert to a spin-on. Once you remove the lower canister portion, you bolt on an adapter and you're good to go. Any DD dealer will sell the conversion setup to you. I did mine years ago and it makes filter changes much easier and cleaner.
    PO was kind enough to convert engine oil, transmission oil and secondary fuel filters for me.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Thanks for that, but the problem is the existing upper casting is SUPER corroded, I mean horrible. Port.jpg

Perhaps if I removed it and cleaned it up it might still be able to accept a conversion kit, but I kinda doubt it. It's really gross, haha.

You are probably going to replace the spin on base anyway. unbolt it, place it in a pail then undo the hoses.
    I'm afraid any way you lean on the filter now, your going to have a mess on your hands.
    Thunk, uh oh..

Once in a bucket, take the filter off and measure the spin on pipe size; 1 1/16 or 1 1/4 inch and go shopping on the Baldwin web site for base and filter part numbers.

Spin on base part # OB1314, a Hastings #. It has a bypass valve and a port for a gauge. BT387-10 is the baldwin #. Be sure to use the gasket with the step.

I changed mine 10 years ago, moneyed on the bulk head, a breeze to change.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I'm going to take the combined advice and convert to spin-on, mount in a more convenient location for servicing, and use the base and filter that Glory has used. It's also very good that the OB1314 base has the bypass.

The additional bonus is that access to the existing filters are blocked by a sea chest and my stabilizer system and takes a double jointed orangutan to service. A new location will solve that.

Thanks very much to Captain Ralph, Glory, oscarvan, and SKYCHENY for your time and help.

Regards,

Allan
    Pacific Star