Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Cleaning gunk from window tracks and screens

Yuck! My ‘88 Aft Cabin 40’ Hatt has moldy gunk built up in the window tracks of the main cabin and the aft stateroom. I can get most of it cleaned out with a bleach water mix sprayed in plus a lot of elbow grease and a wet vac. Anyone have any other ideas?

What I really need to know, is how do those sliding screen panels in the windows get removed?
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Cleaning gunk from window tracks and screens

Take them to the opposite side of closed and pull out from the top. Be careful it’s tight. Not sure if that’s how it’s done but it worked for me. Good luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

If you're referring to the sliding windows with the metal piece on the middle, you'll need to gently ease that metal piece off. Once you do that, slide the glass to the middle and lift it up and out from the bottom. When I was rebedding my port galley window, I discovered this process thru trial, error and a lot of deep-diving threads on here. I hope this helps.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

The only way I was able to clean the green growth out of my sliding windows was to replace the felt/ hair liners. Complete glass removal is needed to do this. Replace the glide material also, you will be glad you did and it will be like a new window. There are good discussions here explaining it all.

Walt Hoover