Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Georgetown SC Marinas

No, just wondering why you’d tell people to not go that route. That’s all.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    No, just wondering why you’d tell people to not go that route. That’s all.
    LOL! Where did I tell him not to go that route?

I just told him not to try it at low tide. I guess I'm trying to figure out why we chased this particular rabbit if his final destination is Georgetown as he won't be passing McClellanville. I thought maybe you knew something I didn't about his route when you mentioned it as a must stop for fuel.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    LOL! Where did I tell him not to go that route?

I just told him not to try it at low tide. I guess I'm trying to figure out why we chased this particular rabbit if his final destination is Georgetown as he won't be passing McClellanville. I thought maybe you knew something I didn't about his route when you mentioned it as a must stop for fuel.
    Someone else brought up Mc'ville, I believe. No worries, was just wondering about your McClellanville experiences since you referenced the bump. Couldn't understand why you'd bump in a 4-1/2' boat and try it again at about the same tide state given what you advised on 3/15:

You won't be able to run the ICW from MB to Charleston unless you hit it at high tide. We bumped pretty good just south of McClellanville with a 4.5' draft, and it wasn't yet low tide. Had to run outside to Georgetown.

I ran it at just better than half tide rising on the 5th and half tide falling on the 9th. Never saw less than 10-1/2' meaning better than 7' depth at MLLW. Recalled a few other similar or larger boats along the way.

You're exactly right. I did ask you about
    the water back in Jan., and I recall you reported it was solid. But since your pretty good bump and warning, I spoke with a couple of loopers drawing 5' or more and got their notes. So, the route is far from the worst on the SC ICW and appears completely doable subject to an abnormal tide or conditions.

IMG_2897.jpg
    Keel depths--The least I saw was 5.2' below the bottom. Didn't bother taking note of return depths.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

It's all good. That March bump came later in the day than did the one this week, but I don't know how much the times from low to high tide are affected from one month to the next. We left out a good bit earlier in the day with that 46C than we did with the 53MY or even the OA, so that could have been the difference.

Then comes the fact that not all depth finders are calibrated the same. We ran with zeros on the depth for a good stretch below Edisto after doing a little prop polishing though there too. Even found a spot just south of Longboat Key Pass on the first day out, even though we were dead center in the channel. The owner was driving the boat when that happened (wouldn't have mattered) and was quite upset he had done a bit of plowing, but I told him he may as well get used to that if he's planning on doing a lot of running in the ICW. We were only running 9 knots then, and I had slowed well below that approaching McLellanville as I saw the bottom coming up when it was my turn to plow.

Had to laugh out loud at a guy who was obviously wreaking havoc going by Fernandina Beach as he was being yelled at by a number of folks. When he came around us at 20+ knots, I told the owner, "Hey, that must be cheese dick", as per the trawler guy who was giving him hell and called him that on the radio. A few minutes later, I heard him talking to another geographically-challenged guy in a sportfish who had waked everyone earlier including us. Seems they were both headed to Long Island as "cheese dick" asked if he could follow as he had no charts and didn't know the water! I fully expected to see one or both sitting on the ground, but we never saw them again.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by iraywest View Post
    Headed to Georgetown SC June 12th and would like recommendations on the best marina to stay overnight as we have not stopped there before. We would like to walk to a local restaurant/bar and see anything of special interest along the way.

Thanks in advance.
    Ray & Patty
    Getting back on topic, the restaurant we ate at was SoCo Grille on Front Street just a few hundred yards from Harborwalk Marina. I had to look it up. They had a good menu with a little of everything. I had a seafood platter and the guys both had meatloaf.

Great little ice cream shop just before you get to the restaurant who makes their own ice cream and various other treats. Try the salted caramel. It was awesome! Guy who owned the place recommended SoCo when I asked about fresh seafood.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

That place is very good. Try Tuscany Bistro for very good local seafood Italian style. A great little bakery is under the clock tower. Best thing, everything is all within sight of the other. The folks in Georgetown are very customer oriented with none of the above-it-all Charleston attitude. Really like that place.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Appreciate the advice gentlemen. We are booked at Harborwalk tomorrow night. Seem like really nice people. Will top off fuel at Grand Dunes before departing in the morning.
    Last edited by iraywest; 06-11-2021 at 07:32 AM.
    West Wind
    1989 67’ CMY Serial 311
    Myrtle Beach, SC