Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: 55 Year Old Electric Panel Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    I thought he said that custom labels were on order and these are temporary. Knowing Eric this is NOT the end state.
    Yes. This ^^^
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Here is the finished panel with all but one of the custom labels in place. The breaker labeled "Heater" will become "Engine Block Heaters". I ordered the correct label and they sent the wrong one. This project was expensive, but I'm very pleased with the end result. Plus, I sleep a whole lot more soundly.
    Attached Images
    Eric

BTW there is an all new separate panel for the Air Conditioning, located in the Port side closet. 2 Breakers currently in use, one for each AC unit. I have capability for 4 breakers - one each for 3 new (future) units plus 1 for a sea water pump.
    Eric

Beautiful!
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

That looks great! That was one of the first things i did on mine when I started the refit. The old panel in the port ER was done and really had to be moved upstairs.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

This is so worth doing for the 50 amp power, everything is heavier duty, the cords, plugs, wiring, switchgear, all way less problematic. I have had to replace so many shore power cables and outlets on my chris craft that had the same twin 30a setup because somebody didn’t know any better and put one of the air conditioning switches in the wrong position. On my hatt the worst that happens is you blow the fuse on the dock and realize you can’t run every ac and the water heater at once, but there’s nothing damaged.

that looks great... please give an update on the smart plug in the future, i'm thinking of this change on my yf.. let us know how it is holding up
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

I don't understand how the smartplug is an upgrade. The design of the plug and sealing is superior, but you lose the ability to plug two cords together, if needed and you still have the old plug on the shore end.

But I sure do like that new panel
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I don't understand how the smartplug is an upgrade. The design of the plug and sealing is superior, but you lose the ability to plug two cords together, if needed and you still have the old plug on the shore end.

It keeps the fire on the dock side of the cord.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post

My 2 new shore power cords were built using a 75' white cable that is used for cablemaster replacement. My "home" cord is about 12' long so that left 60' + for my "travel" cord. Smart Plugs on the boat end and typical Hubbell ends on the dock. I purchased and will carry a spare 25' standard 50a Hubbell cord if I need to extend to reach a far pedestal source. I like the Smart Plug well enough at this point that I don't see myself ever going back to the twist lock type.
    Eric