Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

tight throttle controls

1969 Hatteras double cabin.
    this season the throttle cables are extremely tight.
    is there a way to lubricate them?
    or is replacement the only option.

Re: tight throttle controls

Raiser to replace. There are some YouTube videos on how to lubricant but it’s a long process. Check out Volvo cables. You can tie thee knots in the cable and they still glide smoothly. Good luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

It is quite difficult to get lubricant all the way down the cable.

Volvo and Panish cables are very good. Buy the thinnest cables you can to do the job- increased diameter means increased friction. The length of the cable should be noted on one or both of the ends. Use the old cable to pull the new one through, with liberal doses of WD40 to aid the process.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    It is quite difficult to get lubricant all the way down the cable.

Volvo and Panish cables are very good. Buy the thinnest cables you can to do the job- increased diameter means increased friction. The length of the cable should be noted on one or both of the ends. Use the old cable to pull the new one through, with liberal doses of WD40 to aid the process.
    One could connect a hand vacuum pump to one end (the type I've used to bleed automobile brakes) and suck the lubricant through.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Could you define tight; Hard, stuff or sensitive (not talking x channel here)?
    I am assuming stiff or hard to move.
    There are friction controls on some lever assemblies.
    Old grease can contribute to hard to move levers.
    It is not always just the cables.
    In dual station operation, you may be able to disconnect the lower helm cables in either direction to determine the extra drag or resistance (towards engine or fly bridge) then trouble shoot that head or cable.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 05-17-2021 at 09:11 PM.

Just to be clear.

Tight shifters may be other things.

I just looked at a customers boat where the shifter was tight. He ran it anyway. Though it was a cable. He burned up a transmission because the shift rod was bad.

Know what your looking at before you try to fix a freaking cheep ass cable. If it isn't right and burns up a transmission your saved $100 and toasted $4K
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

After deciding to remove my lower steering station on my 55C I discovered that the lower port side throttle cable was nicked into 2 places. It was on the top up against the ER ceiling and not visible. It looked as though it had been done on installation. Rust had worked its way into the cuts and was starting to make the throttle very hard to move. After I disconnected the port lower station cable from the engine the flybridge throttle worked very smooth. You might want to disconnect them at the engine one at a time to determine if one has a permanent problem.
    Guy