Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Deck Box, Replacement

Have a 1979 53 Motor Yacht, Deck boxes are not in great shape. They could be rebuilt, but would like bigger. Does any one know or recommend a replacement company? Need a deck box, not a dock box (with legs). Would be great if it was water proof, and then it would be spider proof. Could not find a lot online.
    Thanks

Re: Deck Box, Replacement

This company has good selection

https://www.dockboxes.com/dock-boxes-dock-box-parts

My dock box does not have legs, but my deck boxes do. Actually, the legs are just teak blocks.

IMG_0509.jpg
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Newby question: I am considering adding deck boxes to my 52CMY. My foredeck is clear now.

how are the deck boxes anchored to the deck? Are there standard footers or hardware to bolt to deck?
    Thanks! Eric
    Cheers,
    Eric
    BREAKAWAY 1990 Hatteras 52CMY

Frigibar in Ft Lauderdale, lots of options.

http://www.frigibar.com/frigibar-products/
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

The challenge is anchoring the deck boxes to the deck without causing water intrusion into the deck core and thereby making it rot.

I had a deck box on my rear deck that was just held down with 5200. I had to use a sledge hammer to break that stuff loose. I would be tempted to just do that.

Another solution would be hardware such as this which would also be removable.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XBDNM8...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Another solution I have thought about is glassing down L shaped corners to retain the box in position and then perhaps hardware as above.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by 52CMY View Post
    Newby question: I am considering adding deck boxes to my 52CMY. My foredeck is clear now.

how are the deck boxes anchored to the deck? Are there standard footers or hardware to bolt to deck?
    Thanks! Eric
    you drill out a hole in the deck where you want to anchor the box. get rid of the balsa core but not the fiberglass under the core. Fill with epoxy, then drill out a hole for the screw and install the screw with a little silicone. Even if water gets in the screw hole it will be in epoxy. No rot this way, and leg of deck box will cover the epoxy hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    My dock box does not have legs, but my deck boxes do. Actually, the legs are just teak blocks.

Attachment 49850
    looks great i just don't want any more wood, would consider stainless block and have it polished, an option. Thanks

Traditionally deck boxes have feet and dock boxes do not. You can use a dock box and add feet but many do not have the gasketing that true deck boxes have. Mine are Pompanette, but I don't think they make them anymore. It seems that new boats do not have any room for deck boxes or the bows are too sloping. This is probably why there are not too many making them now as the demand has dried up.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI