Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Raw water cooling elbow

I have leaking cooling elbow from corrosion. the only place that corroded was the splitter on both motors. Anyway, 4 welders haven’t been able to get an arc, any idea what material the elbow is so I can have replacement spiltters made?
    Attached Images
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Re: Raw water cooling elbow

Bronze and copper.
    I stripped and epoxy / cloth repaired one.
    Good patch lasted near a year and doing well until the owner had a new (whole) assembly made.

From your picture, you have the TAs. I don't think the Ys from Sams are large enough.
    BTW, I have 2 of those same stainless Ys (new) collecting dust.

There was another thread on this last year also.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 05-15-2021 at 10:25 AM.

Concur on the epoxy/JB Weld for an intermediate solution.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I’ve exceeded the JB Weld stage, it’s time to do a proper fix
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Bronze and copper.I stripped and epoxy / cloth repaired one.Good patch lasted near a year and doing well until the owner had a new (whole) assembly made.From your picture, you have the TAs. I don't think the Ys from Sams are large enough.BTW, I have 2 of those same stainless Ys (new) collecting dust.There was another thread on this last year also.
    You’re correct on the Y from Sams, they use a smaller hose than the 2” mine have, mine have a year or so of dust on them, as well

Try a good radiator repair shop. They should be able to clean & repair back to good order.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Try Lenco Marine Coolers in Amityville NY (Long Island) .
    Have had them make various custom parts for us over the years.
    Also, they made/make a lot of parts for the OEM's so they might already have a pattern.
    My experience has been if they don't have a drawing/pattern they are going to want your part to copy.
    Call them, not very www savy.

https://www.lencocoolers.com/
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Along with Lenco, try Marine Manifolds in Farmingdale, NY. Send them the old one and they will make an identical product in material of your choice. In the past they made exhaust elbows for a Perkins of cupro-nickel at a reasonable cost.
    [FONT=Lucida Console]Paul Schlechter

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schlechter View Post
    Along with Lenco, try Marine Manifolds in Farmingdale, NY. Send them the old one and they will make an identical product in material of your choice. In the past they made exhaust elbows for a Perkins of cupro-nickel at a reasonable cost.
    ill second marine manifold. made custom risers for my 427's to replace the original no longer made ones.
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

I tried 2 marine exhaust companies local and a $3000 quote came from them. NOPE!! Found a welding shop that can braze a new Y section on so that’s in the works. I’ll keep everyone updated.