Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: R22 Conversion to M099?

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    And I am no expert so I would like to believe you as it would buy me (a lot) of time on my units. I was just reporting what the various technical sites were telling me. But you sent me back in the rabbit hole and I found this:

https://legacyac.com/things-to-be-aw...-refrigerants/

But also this.... so it appears that MO99/R438-A is a viable option, with some caveats.

https://heatingcooling.fergusonhvac....ofit-solution/
    Good for you researching - I was trying to do the same but got derailed with an issue of my own.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

I notice, nowhere is mentioned R417a. The next replacement for R22 without oil change.
    It was common to purchase R417a compressors or condensing stations, reclaim the R417a and charge all with R22.

Somethings are amazingly tough. I checked my two OEM Cruisair units this week. In the six years I’ve owned Aslan, I’ve never had issues with them. Thought the fwd cabin unit might need something, but it’s rarely used. It had about 40 psi on suction side, but still putting out 58 degree air. I bumped it up to 55 psi and it’s at 50 F with good head. The other oldie was on 50 psi and cooling well. The charts called for 60 + psi, but no way I’m going that high on a coolish day. Not too bad for 38 year old heat pumps.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Just use propane it’s cheap easy to get and you can fins the leaks wit a match
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

R-22 is not that hard to come by, as least locally. I was able to buy a new, in the sealed box, 30 lb cylinder about 1 year ago for just over $300 from a private individual (yah craigslist!). I didn't even have to meet them in an ally behind an old abandoned warehouse or anything. That should be enough for my DIY air conditioner maintenance until my old CruiseAire units turn to rust.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Bayou Chico
    Pensacola, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Play'N Hooky Too View Post
    R-22 is not that hard to come by, as least locally. I was able to buy a new, in the sealed box, 30 lb cylinder about 1 year ago for just over $300 from a private individual (yah craigslist!). I didn't even have to meet them in an ally behind an old abandoned warehouse or anything. That should be enough for my DIY air conditioner maintenance until my old CruiseAire units turn to rust.
    eBay as well. I'm sitting on a few pounds as well, enough to keep me going.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I checked into this when i had some compressors go out. I found it cheaper just to source r22 locally or on ebay. Way cheaper than you quoted.

Someday, once all the other projects are done (yeah right lol) I want to go with a chiller type system, should save considerable space in an already cramped engine/equipment space.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

I have 7 of the older rotary control ac units. They are R22. We recently had a compressor short to ground. I was able to order a new r22 compressor from PTAC Solutions for about $300.

We charged with R407-c instead of R22. All same hardware and is one of the coldest acs on the boat now. My AC guy just did a compressor swap instead of trying to replace the entire system. The evaps on these old girls seem bullet proof!

We did not try the M99 since our AC guy said the 407 is better formulated for these acs. Super happy and my wallet is happy too!
    Dan Zucker
    Lady Jean
    61 Hatteras MY 1980
    Dunedin, FL