Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Radar array location?

Hi everyone!
    I'm wondering what the thoughts or experiences are regarding the location of a radar array, open or domed, that’s mounted on the brow ahead of the bridge deck, due to no (radar) arch? Would it still be as effective as mounted above the boat on the arch? Would your legs turn green?🤢
    Thanks!

Re: Radar array location?

I don't think you have to worry about your legs turning green until well after your nuts fall off, so you will have plenty of warning.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I guess there is always some concern regarding microwave exposure from a radar array close by but my biggest concern with that location is that you lose all the area of visibility astern. In decreased visibility and for that matter anytime it is nice to see someone coming from behind and not just to the sides and ahead. I just like my radar to have a virtually 360 degree unobstructed scan area. Just me.

I see plenty of boats with it mounted this way. In fact the original (Decca) open array radar on my boat from the factory was mounted that way, but it is long gone. I am still torn between adding a radar arch and getting a 360 degree view or mounting it up front and getting something like a 220 degree view.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Buy a new broadband. The output is very low compared to traditional radar.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Agree with Sky. But I would still mount it up high to get a better view.

I’m talking about some I’ve seen on the brow ahead of the upper helm, not out back. Besides the possible health concerns, what about the effectiveness?
    What would a broadband unit do? I’m unfamiliar....

To be honest there really is no evidence that a typical radar on recreational craft offer any health hazard. Mostly it is the word radiation that gets every one going. As opposed to nuclear radiation which is ionizing and can cause cellar damage our radars emit non-ionizing radiation and stop at the skin. It is not powerful enough to even cause heating of the skin. Now don’t be getting right in front of a military ship radar cause they are a bit more powerful. So when people are flipping out in the marina when you turn on your radar as you are preparing to leave or leave it on when you are docking they are just badly informed and are being a PITA. Ask me how I know about them yelling at you to turn off your radar cause you are radiating everyone. 😁Broad band is reported to give better imaging with less power, etc.

Oops. Cellular not cellar. But we wouldn’t want to hurt the wine either. 😁

Pulled this off the internet
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California