Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Anyone seen this 56 in Long Boat Key?

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1981...56-my-7869535/

I think this is more along the lines of what I am looking for, a classic Hatteras that someone has put a ton of money into. But I think I would like a cockpit. I'd love to hear from cockpit owners and non cockpit owners what they think about having a cockpit. I think it would be nice to be able to get close to the water, in and out, even occasionally fish or snorkel etc. This 56 looks excellent in the pictures and on paper.
    Last edited by ADOPO; 05-12-2021 at 01:00 PM.

Re: Anyone seen this 56 in Long Boat Key?

It looks quite nice in the photos, not sure about the blue trim all over the interior but that is easily remedied (unless you like it). The price seems a bit high (~$150K above what others have been asking) but a turn key boat is the way to go.

There is a member on here selling a 63cpmy that is suppose to be primo @ $360K . It is located on the west coast . The sale is on hold right now. Name WET EVER .

Wet Ever is indeed Primo, I have been underway on it. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I am docked next to this boat with a 37 ft Back Cove shown in the photos. The owner wants to downsize and has
    had workmen prepping the boat for sale. I have not been on the boat but he is an active owner and I believe he addresses issues as they arise. Most likely worth a look for an interested buyer.

Cockpits are nice but so is a deeper swimplatform. For swimming, snorkeling, diving etc a larger platform can do the job as long as you replace the ladder with steps.

If you are concerned about line handling without a platform it is a non issue as nobody should get off the boat until it is secured in the first place.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by lbkjj View Post
    I am docked next to this boat with a 37 ft Back Cove shown in the photos. The owner wants to downsize and has
    had workmen prepping the boat for sale. I have not been on the boat but he is an active owner and I believe he addresses issues as they arise. Most likely worth a look for an interested buyer.
    Thank you, btw really like the Back Cove. If I am not mistaken it is a sister to Sabre, usually wth a large single engine and no pods! I have a broker going to take a look at it on Friday I believe as I am out of the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Cockpits are nice but so is a deeper swimplatform. For swimming, snorkeling, diving etc a larger platform can do the job as long as you replace the ladder with steps.

If you are concerned about line handling without a platform it is a non issue as nobody should get off the boat until it is secured in the first place.
    Thank you for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by ADOPO View Post
    https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1981...56-my-7869535/

I think I would like a cockpit. I'd love to hear from cockpit owners and non cockpit owners what they think about having a cockpit. I think it would be nice to be able to get close to the water, in and out, even occasionally fish or snorkel etc.
    Pros:
    The cockpit (even my short 4ft extension) is great for flexibility as it provides transition from swimming, your tender or floating piers to your aft deck. Also good during "raft-ups" with smaller boats as folks transition between boats/yachts.

It's great for easier loading bulky items on/off yacht (large coolers/dorm frig/furniture, a guest's awkward hardside suitcase, or 5 gal buckets of oil).

a secure place to temporarily store above mentioned bulky items--if weatherproof.

Very useful when docking or departing slip w.r.t. linehandling, fender storage and personnel safety.

Berthed stern in to fixed docks, gives flexibility to avoid narrow finger piers when boarding/disembarking. Nice to not need the Marquipt ladder everytime you stop somewhere away from homebase.

May provide a place for pet relief underway (fake grass mat in corner of deck next to overboard drain and transom shower to clean (subject to environmental regs of course).

The "close to the water" perspective when in the cockpit underway is powerful & pretty awesome--not a viewpoint you can get up on deck.

useful for occasional light fishing/crabbing/etc.

Perfect for scuba diving.

Nice place for morning coffee, "private" conversations phone calls, and a place for teenagers to neck and smoke dope.

Cons:
    it's a place for teens to neck and smoke dope.

It obviously replaces cabin living space for the same LOA.

may be expensive yacht real estate (slip fees, haul out, cleaning, etc) if you end up not using it much.

Overall, I like my cockpit.
    Cheers,
    Eric
    BREAKAWAY 1990 Hatteras 52CMY