Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flybridge deck question.

My flybridge needs medical attention. There are cracks in it. I suspect the bridge itself with it's 1168 screws may not be 100% tight either. Good news is that the boat has been under roof for the last 20 years and rarely ever is there water on there, so there is no major water intrusion. Surveyor said there were two spots with "elevated moisture readings" but they were not "wet" and certainly not spongy. There are a few very faint stains on the head liner below, but they look very old.

Still I have to do something here. So plans are forming.

I was told there is plywood in the core where the flybridge attaches. This is good.

First question I have is whether there is anything else in the core than balsa under the stanchion bases for the weather boards behind the fly bridge? Did they put plywood or solid epoxy in the core for the screws there....... I hope? Re-bedding is one thing, opening up the deck and installing something solid there is another.

Thanks.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 05-17-2021 at 10:37 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: Flybridge deck question.

i recored my 71 53 several years ago. the plywood under the flybridge was only around the perimeter of the base. and only 6 inches or less wide. nothing but balsa under the bases

My whole flybridge deck is soft. I bought it like that. I am going to re-core the deck this summer and
    will probably use high quality 3/4" epoxied ply over the entire surface, with big 1/2" aluminium plates where the hardware attaches.

My 1983 61MY had a couple of cracks near the stanchion mounts on the fly bridge. This was the result of water getting to the aluminum backing plates for the stanchion mounts and causing enough corrosion to expand the plates and crack the fiberglass. Not a hard repair, but time consuming.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

We just finished recoring the bridge. Quite a project. Roughly half was wet.
    Attached Images

OK, so the stanchion bases are just screwed and glued to a layer of fiberglass.

That changes things. I am not putting it back together like that. I think a 6" or so hole saw, remove balsa, pour solid glass and replace the cutout disc.

There is a layer of glass going on the entire deck, and I am glassing the bridge itself to the deck. I have no intention of ever taking it off.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

When are you going to start this project. Please send photos.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    When are you going to start this project. Please send photos.
    Washer/Dryer installation and tool/parts storage in forward cabin is next. (Appliance is on order) Then this. There will be extensive pictures, and a writeup on my blog. Good news is, again, I'm under roof so I can do it in phases.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Later boats had aluminum backing plates where the stations are up there. Yours may have them too. I'm not sure when they started doing that.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Last year I recored the entire deck. What started as just a few spots turned into a much bigger project. I ended up fiberglassing the flybridge down and got rid of all the screws. I can tell you it’s no easy task. Good luck.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575