Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

32V Alternator Issues

I’ve searched the forum on the topic and found lots of useful info, thanks. Still, I have some questions for you electrical gurus.

Starboard 32V alternator was found not charging during last week’s cruise. Charger switched on and battery bank fully recharged. All batteries test good.

I have not yet determined the alternator model/ser. numbers.

Upon further review:
    1. Hobbs switch 15A fuse found blown and replaced; 32 volts confirmed at switch. Given its condition on removal, fuse maybe just aged out. Matched readings with port side switch.
    2. Alternator 50A fuse good
    3. Battery charger 50A fuse good
    4. 32 volts found at alternator and cabling found in good shape.
    5. Dual drive belts are good and alternator rotation appears normal.
    6. Tested at 1,200 RPM and no charging noted. Historically, Stbd unit would excite at under 1,000 RPM.
    Does the Hobbs switch do anything re charging other than cutout the battery charger when fuel pressure is read?

I am unsure about what to look for re voltage regulator.

My trusted rebuild shop has shuttered its doors, so I’m doing what I can to eliminate what I can before pulling the alternator off. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: 32V Alternator Issues

On some designs, The Hobbs switch drove a relay, that tied the alternator VR to a close B+ lead.
    Just a month ago on this forum, a member was replacing this same relay.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    On some designs, The Hobbs switch drove a relay, that tied the alternator VR to a close B+ lead.
    Just a month ago on this forum, a member was replacing this same relay.
    I figured there would have to be a relay to interchange the alternator and the charger. Good place to look. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look for the posts.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I cant help you with the technical part but this is the alternator on my 12V71's. I found an off brand replacement online a couple years ago for under $300 and keep it in a box under the stairs to the state rooms. It looks like an identical unit.

http://www.delcoremy.com/find-a-part...etails/1117733

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I cant help you with the technical part but this is the alternator on my 12V71's. I found an off brand replacement online a couple years ago for under $300 and keep it in a box under the stairs to the state rooms. It looks like an identical unit.http://www.delcoremy.com/find-a-part...etails/1117733
    Where are you docked and when will you be away? Off brand meaning Chicom?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Where are you docked and when will you be away? Off brand meaning Chicom?
    Behind the house and during the day. The fuel down here will cost you more than ordering the one below. Its probably Chicom but ships out of Michigan

https://www.motorcityreman.com/7265n.html

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks for the leads, gents.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Is the Michigan alternator available in Iterlux Perfection white. I don't want Mr. Clarkson to go to any extra work nor do I want mis matched alternators on my next boat.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Is the Michigan alternator available in Iterlux Perfection white. I don't want Mr. Clarkson to go to any extra work nor do I want mis matched alternators on my next boat.

Walt Hoover
    No worries, I have the correct paint.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC