Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

32V battery issue

I may have been too late replacing the ill behaved Sentry battery charger. Just for giggles I left the new one off overnight and although the port bank voltage was 32 plus this morning, the Galleymaid heads would not flush. Just the relays clicking. Turned the charger back on and they worked fine. Charger put in 20A for a few minutes and then settled back down to a few amp trickle. I'm going to try and fire up engines later and see how that goes.

Any suggestions other than disconnecting individual batteries and checking for voltage and/or sticking a hygrometer in the individual cells?
    Last edited by oscarvan; 05-12-2021 at 08:33 AM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: 32V battery issue

Update...... Pulled the caps and got the inspection mirror out. 15 happy bubbling cells. One looking like the surface of a dead aquarium. Suspect dead cell, but again disconnecting and checking individual batteries and cells will probably confirm.

Looking for a Deka 8V195

(Yes I know, replace them all etc. But I'm heading for LiFePO4 and don't want to spend the money on a set of lead acids.....)
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Update 2.....

Disconnected individual batteries and found 6.XVDC in the suspected one. Other three are 9.X

Question answered..... now to find a battery.

And, in retrospect the Sentry is probably just fine, it was the bad cell confusing it. Rookie mistake. Oh well, I did shed a few pounds.....
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Update 3

Deka stopped making that battery 2 years ago. None in the factory outlet, not "out there".

QUESTION-1

How harmful would it be to start off the SB side and run as is for a few hours?
    (On edit, I did get it started no problem with the parallel relay)

QUESTION-2

What would be the bare minimum AH needed to start an 8V71 ?
    Last edited by oscarvan; 05-12-2021 at 02:42 PM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I think other manufacturers still make that battery. I recall seeing that in past discussions.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    I think other manufacturers still make that battery. I recall seeing that in past discussions.
    The Rolls 8 HHG 21P fits. $1600 plus tax for something I hope to not need in a few years. They have smaller ones for half. But the CCA's drop too by half......
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Wish I had seen this a few weeks ago. We had the house bank go down, stbd bank was still strong. I replaced all with golf cart batteries. I returned the strong stbd bank as core's.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Wish I had seen this a few weeks ago. We had the house bank go down, stbd bank was still strong. I replaced all with golf cart batteries. I returned the strong stbd bank as core's.
    Appreciate that. Long ride to Pensacola......
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

LifePo would probably be great for deep cycle/house purposes, but I'd be leery of using them in a start bank.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

OSCARVAN , in the auto industry one crank amp per cubic inch is the minimum might want to double it for an 8V71 .