Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Tachometer Sender

The tach on my port 12V71TI went out over the weekend. I traced the cable and found where it had been knocked loose. It looks like a sender will need to be replaced. Who makes these and where could I find one? I don't think Sams has them. This metal pin came out from the bottom of the sender. IMG_6894.jpgIMG_6895.jpg
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Re: Tachometer Sender

Hi,

I just purchased a set from Lauderdale Speedometer.
    "Sneaking Out"
    1977 37C DD 6-71N
    Jacksonville, FL

"Sneakin' Out"
    1985 55C 12V71TI
    Jacksonville, FL

Glendinning, for sure.

Anybody happen to know the voltage => rpm curve for these senders? From what I can tell the senders are just little generators and voltage should be correlated to rpm right?

I've got one gauge/sender combo that is acting weird, just trying to troubleshoot.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

If that is the sender that is connected to the transmission pump, then Acadian transmission has them. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Anybody happen to know the voltage => rpm curve for these senders? From what I can tell the senders are just little generators and voltage should be correlated to rpm right?

I've got one gauge/sender combo that is acting weird, just trying to troubleshoot.
    Rusty, one possibility, if tachs aren't original, is mis-set dip switches. I have three tachs with floscans and one was always out of sync. When its display failed, the replacement came with dip switch settings that were different from what was set. Now, all three tachs read the same once the motors are in sync.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by RonNP View Post
    The tach on my port 12V71TI went out over the weekend. I traced the cable and found where it had been knocked loose. It looks like a sender will need to be replaced. Who makes these and where could I find one? I don't think Sams has them. This metal pin came out from the bottom of the sender. Attachment 49711Attachment 49712
    On mine, a pigtail comes off the blower shaft, into that splitter. The splitter assembly was made by Glenndenning and they have parts and are very helpful. They'll want to know the ratio, which should be on a tag, but probably painted over.

Does the console tach display matter? My boat has LED display tachometers on the upper and lower consoles, but what appears to be a Glendenning tach sender similar to Wet Ever's. My starboard tach is non-functional at the moment, and appears to be knocked loose as well.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by RonNP View Post
    The tach on my port 12V71TI went out over the weekend. I traced the cable and found where it had been knocked loose. It looks like a sender will need to be replaced. Who makes these and where could I find one? I don't think Sams has them. This metal pin came out from the bottom of the sender. Attachment 49711Attachment 49712
    Where is this Tach Sender connected? My Port 6V92 Tach has quit working.

Thanks
    Doug Troughton
    Doug Troughton
    1986 Hatteras 53 MY
    Hull# HATAM635H586