Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

AC raw water pump impeller replacement and source?

1988 52C with 4-Cruisair units.

I recently flushed my raw water AC system and I feel that it's pretty clean, not perfect but acceptable for good flow. After a recent strainer change, I had a hard time getting proper water flow. After a couple of attempts, she got going.

1. I took a look at the pumps impeller, I would guess she looks a little worn?

2. Can just the impeller be changed? and is there a source? I do have a back up motor/pump assembly but I would like to keep it as a complete spare.

I apologize for not having the part number, but I left the boat without taking a picture of that.

Thanks,
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Eddieclemons; 06-04-2021 at 08:28 AM. Reason: typo
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Re: AC raw water pump impeller replacement and source?

Not sure it's worn beyond salvage. Like a prop with barnacles though, it definitely doesn't have good flow over the blades.

If it was mine I would take it out and work it with a (brass) wire brush on a bench grinder to see if that smooths it up. Or work it with a Dremmel tool wit a small ball shaped grinder bit. Don't take any off the outside edges.

Tough part may well be disassembly.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 06-04-2021 at 08:34 AM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

The impeller looks eroded to me. It s an oberdorfer relabeled cruisair, call Depco Pump and see if you can get the parts. Personally I d install the spare and rebuild this one

That s why I m not a big fan of these metal impeller pumps. I like of the March impellers can be replaced just by popping the cover, and they rarely fail anyway
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The impeller is eroded because of cavitation due to the bubles. There is not much you can do about it. In my case I have the Oberdorfer 104M the impeller/seal/gasket kit is part # 10719. Depco pump have it.Be carefull taking it out because the erosion make the ends very sharp. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    1988 52C with 4-Cruisair units.

I recently flushed my raw water AC system and I feel that it's pretty clean, not perfect but acceptable for good flow. After a recent strainer change, I had a hard time getting proper water flow. After a couple of attempts, she got going.

1. I took a look at the pumps impeller, I would guess she looks a little worn?

2. Can just the impeller be changed? and is there a source? I do have a back up motor/pump assembly but I would like to keep it as a complete spare.

I apologize for not having the part number, but I left the boat without taking a picture of that.

Thanks,
    I have the same boat and setup - and my pump runs ok but has a weird vibration, after not being used for a few years, which seems to be getting stronger. So, inevitably it's going to need replacement soon.

I had bookmarked this page for the replacement, but will be curious to see what you do: https://inetmarine.com/March0150-002...mp115Volt.aspx
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Is the impeller screwed onto the shaft/pump tip I presume? My current those are to try and do an impeller change. If that is not possible, then I would install the complete spare unit I have. Long term the March unit looks nice. Thanks
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

I agree with Pascal about March pumps, I have two pumps installed in 2003 , here in south Florida, running almost continuously , no problems other than a barnacle growing in a vane , which will disrupt flow quite a bit .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Soak the impeller in phosphoric acid for 4-5 hours, repeat if necessary. Or, drop it in white vinegar overnight. Stay away from hammers and chisels.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    I agree with Pascal about March pumps, I have two pumps installed in 2003 , here in south Florida, running almost continuously , no problems other than a barnacle growing in a vane , which will disrupt flow quite a bit .
    I have 3 March pumps running in Fort Myers, and other than cleaning my strainers weekly have not had any issues to speak of. I have the March AC-5MD's, 220V models. In addition to cleaning the strainers weekly, I pull the heads every 3 months and wash them out - Low maintenance by my standards. I recommend Bestbuypumps.com - Reasonable prices, replacement/repair parts, easy ordering and fast shipping.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    I have 3 March pumps running in Fort Myers, and other than cleaning my strainers weekly have not had any issues to speak of. I have the March AC-5MD's, 220V models. In addition to cleaning the strainers weekly, I pull the heads every 3 months and wash them out - Low maintenance by my standards. I recommend Bestbuypumps.com - Reasonable prices, replacement/repair parts, easy ordering and fast shipping.
    Good job on that site - it's about one-forth cheaper than the one I linked. I'll have to check everything to make sure it's the right pump. But for 270 bucks, it's not worth messing around too much with the old pump. Plug and play....

This one, right? https://bestbuypumps.com/AC-5C-MD-11...-0026-0100.htm
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 06-04-2021 at 08:28 PM.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C