Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Vetus Bow Thruster, intermittent!?

Hi every one for the last two trips the bow thruster has been acting out at the time that I needed the most (as usual). Batteries are kept on top of charge with alternator so I know it’s not a weak battery issue. Usually, when you move the joystick on way or the other, the bow thruster response instantaneously. When this problem occur sporadically there is a delay of one second and sometimes two seconds before I get a weak response from the bow thruster. Researching this problem and reading the Vetus manual I am thinking that the problem is in the carbon brushes. The joystick I used that showed that problem is purely mechanical switch and not an electronic circuit board.

Anyone has any suggestions?

Anyone has experience similar problems with their thruster?

Thanks
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Re: Vetus Bow Thruster, intermittent!?

oh by the way the Vitus manual suggests to change the brushes once a year!

Quote Originally Posted by Gusshr View Post
    Hi every one for the last two trips the bow thruster has been acting out at the time that I needed the most (as usual). Batteries are kept on top of charge with alternator so I know it’s not a weak battery issue. Usually, when you move the joystick on way or the other, the bow thruster response instantaneously. When this problem occur sporadically there is a delay of one second and sometimes two seconds before I get a weak response from the bow thruster. Researching this problem and reading the Vetus manual I am thinking that the problem is in the carbon brushes. The joystick I used that showed that problem is purely mechanical switch and not an electronic circuit board.

Anyone has any suggestions?

Anyone has experience similar problems with their thruster?

Thanks
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Can the brushes be changed without hauling the boat?

I resolved this same problem a month ago after a year of incorrect diagnosis.

Change out the toggle switch. It costs $90 and takes about twenty minutes. They just wear out because we get a little excited sometimes using the thruster and push harder to make it work better. The switch finds this unreasonable and fails when we need it the most.

If you have the battery remote, it will work when the toggle gets jumpy. If not, then you can activate the thruster from the unit to make sure you have a clear prop and battery.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

Changing brushes once a year? That s nuts. I ve used Sidepowers that are 10 to 15 years old with original brushes.

I m sure they can be changed in the water since the motor is inside

About the original question I d look at wiring, contacts, relays etc. also see if you can monitor voltage while thr thruster is running and see how low it gets.

Do you have another station or just one? Does it happen from everywhere? Not sure what you meant by ...” The joystick I used that showed that problem is purely mechanical switch and not an electronic circuit board. ”
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Changing brushes once a year? That s nuts. I ve used Sidepowers that are 10 to 15 years old with original brushes. I m sure they can be changed in the water since the motor is inside About the original question I d look at wiring, contacts, relays etc. also see if you can monitor voltage while thr thruster is running and see how low it gets. Do you have another station or just one? Does it happen from everywhere? Not sure what you meant by ...” The joystick I used that showed that problem is purely mechanical switch and not an electronic circuit board. ”
    Vetus makes an electronic thruster controller. This station is nothing but a toggle switch rocker (so it is not complicated). I took the advice from the previous responce and swapped the joystick with a new that I had in my future project box. It looks like The rocker switch joystick I removed was probably defective because I read some resistance when connecting to one side and it is inconsistent. So far testing is good. Will keep testing but I think with everybody’s help here I was able to find where the problem is. Fingers crossed.
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Can the brushes be changed without hauling the boat?
    Brushes are changed while the boat in water.
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL