Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Freestyle needs turbo advice

With the dry turbos, that clamp is a special V clamp that squeezes the turbo and the exhaust tube together.
    An exhaust patch putty (NAPA?) can be used like a gasket maker or cover patch till you get home.
    Your pictures do show the leak but it may not be as bad as it looks.
    IMO, keep your foot out of it and ER blowers on. You may not find any carbon on the air filters, but plan on replacing them anyway.

Can someone provide the exhaust clamp part spec for an 8v92 and who could ship it Monday? SAMS?
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

It is going to depend on what type turbo you have. They should have a tag on them with a model number. Mine have 3 clamps per turbo and all 3 are different sizes. Intake, middle and exhaust riser clamps. If you can find a marine engine place down there that sells Detroit parts they should be able to locate for you.

Repair update.

Hose clamp was intact but nut missing. Corrosion on turbo side made refastening tough and short term but I got the clamp to mate the turbo to the exhaust riser.

Wrapped reassembly with thick adhesive exhaust tape.

Ran stainless 'wire ties' from two machined holes on the turbo side to the Stainless support for the exhaust side riser to squeeze the two components together and hold in place.

Plan is to run slow with ER Blowers on and if the leak reappears, then run on one engine intermittently turning on the damaged one to lube the transmission.

Thanks for the advice and to Keys Hardware for amazing advice and great product inventory.

Heading to Tampa on Monday.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

Good field work.......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I once lost a V-band clamp and was stuck in BFE for two days waiting for a new one. Now I carry spares. Once you know the size they are easily found on Ebay/Amazon.

My 6v92's take the 3 1/2" clamp. Yours may be larger.

https://www.iowa80.com/312-stainless...ontent=Exhaust

l77863.jpg
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 05-09-2021 at 09:47 AM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

If you limp it on one make sure to lock the inop prop shaft. Use a solid 1 1/18 or 1 1/4 wrench on the shaft nuts against the stringer. A crescent wrench will brake. Also everytime you stop forward motion and for sure everytime you reverse check that the wrench is still secure. No need to alternate. Did this with the Bird for 8 days with no issues.
    Even talked a lock into staying open late for our emergency.
    Last edited by Sadey; 05-09-2021 at 04:55 PM.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale