Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Freestyle needs turbo advice

All: Bruce made it safely to Key West from Tampa, and needs advice on how to manage to make the port turbo safe for a return trip. KW is definitely resource constrained this weekend, and here are the pictures he texted me. Please let the experts share their opinions.
    Sourcing a mechanic for disassembly and swap for a rebuilt unit might be ideal, but please chime in on thoughts and recommendations. Thank you. Bruce will reply to the thread, just does not have IMG951360_20210507_164352[1].jpgIMG951361_20210507_164352[1].jpgIMG951362_20210507_164352[1].jpgbandwidth for the pics.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Re: Freestyle needs turbo advice

Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

The pics don't really say much, except he's got a leak.

He's going to have to strip that insulation off and see where it's actually coming from. In the absence of parts or mechanics the only suggestion I can offer is JB Weld and don't run it hard.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Probably a broken clamp. They are not always easy to find. I always keep a couple of spares of each type on board. Just dont run it so hard that the leaking soot is inhaled into the air intake. I would run at hull speed until fixed myself

Maybe this can effect a temporary repair.....

https://www.amazon.com/Tiger-patch-M.../dp/B004AY3NHE
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Running with an exhaust leak will clog an inter or after cooler.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Mal, thank you for posting the pictures.

Others, thank you for giving them a look and sharing your thoughts.

So, now that the motor has cooled off and I can poke around at it, let me see if I understand the advice:

1. Peel back the burnt insulation and see if I can identify the source of the leak. I assume it will reveal with scoring or 'where the black stuff originates'.

2. I have hose clamps aboard for just this problem if it is a broken clamp. I have never worked in that area of the motor. Any do's and don't's for refastening?

3. How does the JB 5 product work for this?

4. I will see if Amazon Prime can deliver the exhaust tape. Any advice on use?

5. Plan is to make it as safe as possible to return from Key West to Tampa at 1100 rpms and 8 knots just like how we got here. It takes about 24 hours and is a lot of fun except at night when your mind starts thinking of engine room fires. Should I consider a one engine return (a/k/a) "a Freebird Delivery"?

Thank you again for your help. This is the reason to own a classic Hatteras.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

JB Weld is only to fill in missing material. If it's a broken clamp, just replace the clamp.

That one engine thing may not be a bad idea if you can't perform an effective repair.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Remove the insulation blanket from the turbo, to find up what the problem is, if it is a broken clamp, you have to replace it or if you do not have a spare wrap some exhaust tape on it a and do not go over 1100 rpm. The same goes if you have an erosion on the manifold. You can also go with only one engine but I do not if the transmision will heat up because of the prop free rotating . At low rpm the turbos are not working that hard.

If you need a turbo repaired I can tell you who not to use. That's a PM conversation.

Suffice it to say all future turbo work will ship from Florida to Derek (avenger) in NY.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.