Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

43DC Hard Top Removal - Instructions/Schematics/Time Estimates

Hey all,
    New to the forum and Hatteras, hope I am posting in the best location for this forum.

I am in the process of purchasing a 1975 43DC Hard Top in Knoxville TN, I am planning to move it to Lake Lanier GA (landlocked). I have to remove the hard top and bridge deck windows, I know it is 100% doable, and from what I have read in other posts here, it seems that it's not that difficult. I am a pretty solid DIYer, with 10 years of professional boating experience, 8 years as a cabinet maker, and countless hours working on all manner of mechanical vehicles +++

I guess my biggest questions are:

Are there any known Instructions, Schematics, Instructional Videos?

How much time should I expect it to take? (When done carefully/meticulously with expectation of ease for re-assembly)

Thank you in advance to all of you, for your insights and experience.
    Derek

Re: 43DC Hard Top Removal - Instructions/Schematics/Time Estimates

I just removed the flybridge on our '72 43DC and I replaced the hardtop mounting bolts.

IMO, there are 16 bolts that are holding the top on, and then a bunch of 5200 around the top of the windows.

There are some brackets otherwise on the windshield, and I am not totally sure of how they are held on, but I think once you start getting it apart it will makes sense.

A very good time to take care of any glass issues as well!
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by brettportzer View Post
    I just removed the flybridge on our '72 43DC and I replaced the hardtop mounting bolts.

IMO, there are 16 bolts that are holding the top on, and then a bunch of 5200 around the top of the windows.

There are some brackets otherwise on the windshield, and I am not totally sure of how they are held on, but I think once you start getting it apart it will makes sense.

A very good time to take care of any glass issues as well!
    Thanks for the info, it certainly sounds like it isn't going to be too difficult. Is it possible to pull all of the glass before separating the top? Certainly seems like that would be the ideal situation, and yes, I will be replacing several pieces of the windshield glass that have started delaminating.

Hey brettportzer, or any other 43DC owners for that matter, are the windshield and side window frames all one piece?
    We did the sea trial on Wednesday, and in taking a closer look, it looks likes the the window frames are all welded together into a single unit...

Quote Originally Posted by DerekT View Post
    Hey brettportzer, or any other 43DC owners for that matter, are the windshield and side window frames all one piece?
    We did the sea trial on Wednesday, and in taking a closer look, it looks likes the the window frames are all welded together into a single unit...
    I believe the sides are separate from the front, but the whole front is one piece.

I don’t know if any of it is attached with anything other than 5200, would have to be screws inside the frames once you took the glass out.

Which I haven’t done so I am not sure.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by DerekT View Post
    Hey all,
    New to the forum and Hatteras, hope I am posting in the best location for this forum.

I am in the process of purchasing a 1975 43DC Hard Top in Knoxville TN, I am planning to move it to Lake Lanier GA (landlocked). I have to remove the hard top and bridge deck windows, I know it is 100% doable, and from what I have read in other posts here, it seems that it's not that difficult. I am a pretty solid DIYer, with 10 years of professional boating experience, 8 years as a cabinet maker, and countless hours working on all manner of mechanical vehicles +++

I guess my biggest questions are:

Are there any known Instructions, Schematics, Instructional Videos?

How much time should I expect it to take? (When done carefully/meticulously with expectation of ease for re-assembly)

Thank you in advance to all of you, for your insights and experience.
    Derek
    Welcome to the forum.

I may have to sue you for identity theft.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

My 43 DC went through this same process. I will look and see if I can find the pics, that may shed some light on things for you.

I’m just down the road in SC. If you need a hand let me know when the time comes.