Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Starter Solenoid is not only thing to check...

2 weeks ago we couldn't get the port engine to fire - 8V92ti's. Checked everything and it came back to a bad starter solenoid. Since the engines have less than 500 hours, but the accessories were moved over from original engines, I R&R the solenoid - No dice. Started tracing electrical with some help from Calder's marine diesel engine book. PS - If you buy it on Kindle, latest Kindle software update hides the charts/figures. Long story short, when I started checking for ignition relay, found blown ignition fuse in the ER panel. Found out from fellow old Coasties that is a common sub-issue when starter solenoid fries.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Re: Starter Solenoid is not only thing to check...

There is usually a starter helper solenoid that drives that yellow wire with black stripe engagement.
    With a schematic you should be able to see the electric process.
    For long wire runs (Engine room, thru the breaker panel, start switch back to the starter (( 30+ feet of wire)), it is common for a helper solenoid to engage the starter with full kick. Here is usally the hidden ghost.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    There is usually a starter helper solenoid that drives that yellow wire with black stripe engagement.
    With a schematic you should be able to see the electric process.
    For long wire runs (Engine room, thru the breaker panel, start switch back to the starter (( 30+ feet of wire)), it is common for a helper solenoid to engage the starter with full kick. Here is usally the hidden ghost.
    Can't find the helper solenoid, or a yellow wire with black stripe in the engine room, but haven't been thru the helm console yet.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I did it the other way around, but I have everything running again. New solenoid and replacement fuse solved the issue.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL