Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

I think I found the leak!

Late late year we started to see water coming in above the rear valence. It only happened in rain or when we washed the boat. Assumed it was from the aft deck drain hose, so I put a rubber stopper in the drain and put it on the list. The rain here has put the railings on hold, so I decided to fix the aft deck drain hose leak... I think I found the leak! And some piss poor repair work from before. The white hose is the potable water fill line. No clamp at the fill neck and none of the cushion clamps were replaced. Unfortunately, I'll bet the PO paid someone to do this crap.
    Attached Images

Re: I think I found the leak!

It’s hard to believe that people would do that kind of work and then cover it up. Glad you found it.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I'm constantly dismayed by the things that I find where even the smallest amount of care would have made the difference. It's satisfying to fix these sorts of things. I just wish there wasn't SO much satisfaction to be had.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

I'm dealing with similar lack of workmanship with my midships/genny room bilge pump. At some point the discharge hose was replaced only as far as what appears to be a check valve. When I put new cushion clamp on, hose started whistling at the check valve. Hose clamps were not even finger-tight.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

The hardest part of this job is removing the old hose! Wish I knew a midget, excuse me, little person. I'm going back with shields/trident 149
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    I'm dealing with similar lack of workmanship with my midships/genny room bilge pump. At some point the discharge hose was replaced only as far as what appears to be a check valve. When I put new cushion clamp on, hose started whistling at the check valve. Hose clamps were not even finger-tight.
    Tightened hose clamps carefully, poured some water into the bilge and ran the pump. Whistle was gone.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

The "hard" side is done, although I might throw a second clamp on (it's above the water line). Very difficult to access the starboard side aft drain line. Port tomorrow, I'm using 141 for the potable water fill hose.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 05-09-2021 at 02:44 PM.

Nice neat job. Two clamps in a hard to access spot is good sense. Boeshield or similar and it’s forever.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Nice neat job. Two clamps in a hard to access spot is good sense. Boeshield or similar and it’s forever.
    Yes, Two aba clamps on a hidden joint makes it bomb proof.
    We also just learned a valued trick this last winter; We all have had to take a hot air gun to some hoses to get them over some nipples, I re-learned it takes some heat to soften up the hose to get it to settle on a nipple, then clamp it down before it cooled.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Yes, Two aba clamps on a hidden joint makes it bomb proof.
    We also just learned a valued trick this last winter; We all have had to take a hot air gun to some hoses to get them over some nipples, I re-learned it takes some heat to soften up the hose to get it to settle on a nipple, then clamp it down before it cooled.
    Had to use the heat gun on the barb, the hard part was I couldn't really reach it. So, at arms length, I heated the barb and hose, then onto my back and in to the nightstand (drawer removed) until my head was against the rudder post, then reached under some cabinetry support, grabbed the hose, and slipped it down on the barb... All by feel!