Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

CO2 bottle surprise!

Having seen some of the other CO2 bottles, I was surprised to move the fridge this weekend and discover this monster!

4ft tall!

IMG_9499.jpg
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

2. Re: CO2 bottle surprise!

I have the same CO2 tank. The tank weighs over 200lbs, and in my case, it makes it very difficult to get to the starboard side of the starboard engine. I recently purchased a new FireBoy system which is half the size. If you get a new system, you will also need to get the automatic shutdown required for diesel engines. There was a 10-week wait for the new system. I’ll post pictures when I get it.
    Attached Images
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328

Re: CO2 bottle surprise!

In my 43DC the CO2 bottle is less than half that size. Same location though.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

In my 1973 38' FBDC the bottle is about 3' along the post side. I have an original drawing that suggests it's Haylon. The last date on the card is 1999. 427 V8 gas engines.

I would like some info on the new system if someone has a link. Thanks.

Tags on mine say 2007. It will be interesting to see if anyone up here is willing or able to provide the same services as in Baltimore.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

6. Re: CO2 bottle surprise!

Below is the link to information on FireBoy
    https://www.fireboy-xintex.com/cg-ma-series-hfc-227ea/
    I purchased mine through Defender which had the best price. FireBoy makes an auto shut down specifically for Detroit Diesel (ES5015) that you also need which shuts down the engine and blowers in the event of a discharge. The shut down works on voltage up to 38V.

FireBoy had great customer service. I was able to talk with a technician who was able to guide me to exactly what I needed.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328

Same boat, smaller tank. My tag is from 1995, but I have enough portable units to satisfy my fire extinguisher requirements without it. I like the idea of the no mess CO2 and that it will kill the engines. When I run out of things to do on the boat, I'll get the cylinder recertified. Plus, I've hung far too many wires from the engine room piping to want to take all that out.
    Attached Images
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA