Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Timing procedure - 427, V8, 300hp engine with Pertronix.

Anyone have a timing procedure for this engine with Pertronix?
    Thanks.

Re: Timing procedure - 427, V8, 300hp engine with Pertronix.

Check with petronix. They have information on all their systems and installs.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Not sure if its the same, but on my old Chris 327F engines, there was no change. The Pertronix gave me a more consistent powerful spark, but the timing did not change from the old points and condenser. I had the Prestolite distrubutor.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Not sure if its the same, but on my old Chris 327F engines, there was no change. The Pertronix gave me a more consistent powerful spark, but the timing did not change from the old points and condenser. I had the Prestolite distrubutor.
    Thanks, everyone for the information. Interesting how some YouTube video say to set initial timing and some say must set Total timing. The Pertronix info says no need to set total timing. I have been unable to find any info on what the initial timing and total timing should be for this engine. I will normally cruise about 2000-2500 rpm so think I should set it at total timing degrees ... whatever that is. Surely someone knows. Been unable to locate a tech manual for this engine, as popular as it has been for about 50 years.

Think I need to rebuild carbs too.
    Last edited by Maurice; 05-02-2021 at 11:56 AM.

there is an viewhole on the top of the tranny case where you can see the flywheel.
    there is a dot on the flywheel which will line up with the metal pointer on the case

what speed are you cruising at 2000-2500 rpm's?
    1600-1700 has me about hull speed of 6-7 knots.
    3000-3200 has me cruising 13.5-15 knots.
    Last edited by UNIQUE_NAME; 05-03-2021 at 09:40 AM.
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

I"m not even sure what total timing is, but yes, line up the dot on the flywheel with the pointy thing. My 327F's were supposed to hit 4200rpm or something like that, but I never was able to get them over 3800 until I put in the Pertronix. When I did, I immediately hit 4200 with no problem. I was very happy with the move. And installation was not difficult at all.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
    Thanks, everyone for the information. Interesting how some YouTube video say to set initial timing and some say must set Total timing. The Pertronix info says no need to set total timing. I have been unable to find any info on what the initial timing and total timing should be for this engine. I will normally cruise about 2000-2500 rpm so think I should set it at total timing degrees ... whatever that is. Surely someone knows. Been unable to locate a tech manual for this engine, as popular as it has been for about 50 years.

Think I need to rebuild carbs too.
    Maurice,

My apologies. I promised to send you the tech manuals for that engine and haven't been on this site in quite awhile. Give me a day or two and I'll email the manual to you. I'm certain all the timing info is in there as I checked timing on my engines per the manual last year and I have Pertronix in my distributors.

As for carbs I replaced the originals with Edelbrock 1409 carbs and couldn't be happier. They run smoother, more fuel efficient and the electric chokes allow them to warm up more effectively. The Pertronix and new carbs were IMHO the biggest bang for the buck upgrading those engines.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Thanks to all. Very helpful. Look forward to the tech manuals. I am on a learning curve but understand that base timing in about 12 -16 degrees BTDC at idle, and total timing is about 30-36 degrees BTDC at 3500 to 4000 rpm. Maybe the tech manual will tell me what it should be on this engine. They have the Pertronix and will consider the Edelbrock 1409 carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    Maurice,

My apologies. I promised to send you the tech manuals for that engine and haven't been on this site in quite awhile. Give me a day or two and I'll email the manual to you. I'm certain all the timing info is in there as I checked timing on my engines per the manual last year and I have Pertronix in my distributors.

As for carbs I replaced the originals with Edelbrock 1409 carbs and couldn't be happier. They run smoother, more fuel efficient and the electric chokes allow them to warm up more effectively. The Pertronix and new carbs were IMHO the biggest bang for the buck upgrading those engines.
    Thanks, Brian. much appreciated.