Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GFI Pedestals

GFI Pedestals

I recall reading about this on the forum, but can't locate the discussion.

So...Heading to a transient marina later this week. Dockmaster asked me if I'd hooked up to "the new GFI pedestals" yet. Well, I have not. In the short term, they have space with conventional shore power.

So what am I looking at if I give the GFI pedestal a try? Thx
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: GFI Pedestals

Since you have isolation transformers, you are at zero risk of tripping their fault system. They all worry about new boats coming in and taking down the whole dock.

Our boats were engineered right. If all boats were set up this way, they wouldn't need their GFI's.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Since you have isolation transformers, you are at zero risk of tripping their fault system. They all worry about new boats coming in and taking down the whole dock.

Our boats were engineered right. If all boats were set up this way, they wouldn't need their GFI's.
    Then we'll hope for the best. Thanks
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    No transformers here, and haven't had the "trial by TGFI" yet. (Total Ground Fault Interrupt)

The following is the world as I know it...... set me straight where needed.

My boat is pretty original. Are my neutral and ground connected on board? I know they are not supposed to be, unless the generator or an inverter are operating. (They should have internal transfer switches that connect the two, as we are not connected to land. (Ground)

If the above is true does it follow that with NO generator, NO inverter and NO shore power there should be NO continuity between neutral and ground measured at the shore power inlets?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

My 1974 53MY has no isolation transformers and we have hooked up to those dock pedestals a couple of times with no problems. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I have GFCI on my dock entire dock. It is a must have in fresh water. When I first plugged my boat in after purchase (no isolation transformer) it would pop the GFCI supplying dock power. Lots of expurts said that is how it is and remove the GFCI, don't need it blah blah blah.

A little bit of troubleshooting and isolating circuits lead to the discovery that the "Shore Power Available" light on my AC Distribution panel was tripping the GFCI. The light fixture was somehow leaking a tiny bit of current to it's base (which is grounded) and thus tripping the GFCI.

Disconnected the light, and it hasn't tripped the breaker since. And this includes running A/C units, refrigerator, battery chargers, etc.

Properly wired and properly working boats don't trip GFCI.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Yes in theory a correctly wired boat should not trip a GFI... but the problem often comes from household appliances, especially older ones which bond G and N together inside. Whan that’s the case even with the individual breaker off it will still trip since individual 120v breakers don’t turn off the N. You have to physically u plug the appliances to find the culprit.

My marina is being rebuilt and I was concerned I would have an issue since the early 53s don’t have isaolatikn transformers. To make things worst my boat had to be moved while we d be away for 6 weeks in the Exumas. Before leaving, I went to test my electrical at an open slip to make sure it would work. I held my breath... and it worked. I have an all new electrical system with new wiring, new Blue Seas panels, new air con and all new appliances (fridge, cooktop, water heater, convection oven). I guess new appliances no longer bond N to G
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Our dock was upgraded to GFCI pedestals nearly 2 years ago. It has been fabulous. There were 2 boats that were somewhat unloved. With the new pedestals and tripping breakers, those boats became dockmaster safety concerns. One is gone and the other is for sale. Also, when extreme weather causes a surge, they trip. The dockmaster resets 3 of us on 240V, afterwards. Did I say fabulous?
    These pedestals are a new safety check for us on our electrical systems.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

While I’m told I have many faults (which is totally groundless), Aslan is ground faultless. All circuits energized and no trips. Hatteras built them right.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC