Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Re: Anybody know the 1988 65 MY Benchmark in Palmetto, FL?

Quote Originally Posted by ADOPO View Post
    So we visited this boat last Wednesday, as it is located at Riviera Dunes Marina in Palmetto. Anyone looking to buy a dock, that would be the place as it is "according to many" a "hurricane hole and insurance approved".

The boat presented well, but was dated as you can see from the video in the advertisement. Most electronics, while perhaps serviceable, were outdated. So, very clean, nice condition, worth a look if you are not concerned about having a new boat look.

We proceeded to Marlow's yard on Sneed Island, and were very impressed all around, until I began my google research on Yacht forum and some other sites. I was surprised at the number of issues they have had through the years. I suppose a lot of yards/manufacturers have had their issues, but these appear to be a bit alarming. BTW lots of Hatteras love on Yacht Forum.
    Yachtforums is apparently a club of (maybe) ten regular posters. The owner of the site blocks anyone who doesn’t agree with said regular posters, especially if they’re actually in the boat business, knows yachts and the yacht business. The guy (goes by Older Boater there, and B&B on Trawlerforums) who posts the most, apparently just Googles any and everything all day-every day, on the Internet, and uses lawsuits he “discovered”(even if just one (1) to tarnish reputations of boat builders and brokers WITHOUT actually visiting the vessels, nor speaking with anyone involved, all in between being an expert and moral authority on EVERYTHING. I don’t believe one word that sad sack says about anything, because despite tens of thousands of his posts, with ALL his extensive cruising-he hasn’t once posted one (1) photograph of anything, and many times he’s supposedly in a harbor, and nobody has seen any boats that match any of his many yachts.. Cruise ships passed by, yes. Sunseekers on the Loop or in Alaska kinda stick out.Westports and Rivas stick out. Hmmm, not one(1) photo.
    Marlows are quality yachts. Believe your eyes!
    Last edited by Retired1; 05-09-2021 at 01:12 PM.

Re: Anybody know the 1988 65 MY Benchmark in Palmetto, FL?

Anyone who follows Yachtforums would know your comment is not accurate. There is a lot of knowledge there by industry professionals. As far as Marlowe go, one need only to surf the web and read about the multitude of problems with those boats. So yes, believe your eyes when you complete your research.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

3. Re: Anybody know the 1988 65 MY Benchmark in Palmetto, FL?

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Anyone who follows Yachtforums would know your comment is not accurate. There is a lot of knowledge there by industry professionals. As far as Marlowe go, one need only to surf the web and read about the multitude of problems with those boats. So yes, believe your eyes when you complete your research.
    One broker (Judy Waldman) ore retired Captain, three active Captains ( one who owns a Hatteras) one Swedish boat builder, and a professional golfer that’s been hunting for a yacht for how long?
    Please tell me who these other mystery “Industry Professionals” are. I’ve read everything that you’ve read -posted by that most prolific poster, who has a device( says he) that allows him to have his words translated into perfect writing, without spell check changing words like it does on my tablets, but doesn’t have a cell phone with a camera. That’s your “authority”. His identities are apparently sacrosanct.
    Yes, there were some issues with one of their largest builds, which did not effect the rest of their model lineup. Anybody who knows anything about the Yacht Business knows how lawsuits by heavy hitters put many out of business. It was a case of “he with the most lawyers”, of “screw this, I didn’t get into the boat business to fight with assholes” of why they went out of business. David and. Arlowe is still there.
    You know who you didn’t see disputing this? ALL the actual professionals who had their account removed, and EVERY post they ever made- deleted, that’s who!
    I’ve met with David several times, I’ve been to their facility many times, I’ve been on many of their yachts, and actually know people who own them, cruise them, and trade up-and down through their size ranges.

4. Re: Anybody know the 1988 65 MY Benchmark in Palmetto, FL?

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    One broker (Judy Waldman) ore retired Captain, three active Captains ( one who owns a Hatteras) one Swedish boat builder, and a esteemed marine professional, but not one from the dealership, brokerage, sales, surveyors, or boatyard side of things.
    Please tell me who these other mystery “Industry Professionals” are. I’ve read everything that you’ve read -posted by that most prolific poster, who has a device( says he) that allows him to have his words translated into perfect writing, WITHOUT spell check changing words like it does on my tablets, but doesn’t have a cell phone with a camera.
    Yes, there were some issues with one of their largest builds, which did not effect the rest of their model lineup. Anybody who knows anything about the Yacht Business knows how lawsuits by heavy hitters put many out of business. It was a case of “he with the most lawyers”, of “screw this, I didn’t get into the boat business to fight with assholes” of why they went out of business. David and Marlowe is still there.
    You know who you didn’t see disputing this? ALL the actual professionals who had their accounts and EVERY post they ever made- deleted, that’s who! Carl runs that site like Jack Dorsey and Zuckerberg run theirs.
    I’ve met with David several times, I’ve been to their facility many times, I’ve been on many of their yachts, and actually know people who own them, cruise them, and trade up-and down through their size ranges.

Judge Judy might not believe in serendipity, but I do, as four times (three times in Ft. Pierce of all places)Obama crossed my path as I was going about my business, and all four times I had a clear shot, but instead took out my cell phone and took photos instead. Just stating how easy it is to take actual photographs vs writing about it. I have photos of INSIDE busted open boats to prove my statements of their defects,
    Last edited by Retired1; 05-09-2021 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
    Yachtforums is apparently a club of (maybe) ten regular posters. The owner of the site blocks anyone who doesn’t agree with said regular posters, especially if they’re actually in the boat business, knows yachts and the yacht business. The guy (goes by Older Boater there, and B&B on Trawlerforums) who posts the most, apparently just Googles any and everything all day-every day, on the Internet, and uses lawsuits he “discovered”(even if just one (1) to tarnish reputations of boat builders and brokers WITHOUT actually visiting the vessels, nor speaking with anyone involved, all in between being an expert and moral authority on EVERYTHING. I don’t believe one word that sad sack says about anything, because despite tens of thousands of his posts, with ALL his extensive cruising-he hasn’t once posted one (1) photograph of anything, and many times he’s supposedly in a harbor, and nobody has seen any boats that match any of his many yachts.. Cruise ships passed by, yes. Sunseekers on the Loop or in Alaska kinda stick out.Westports and Rivas stick out. Hmmm, not one(1) photo.
    Marlows are quality yachts. Believe your eyes!
    Thank you for your post, yes I thought it was one of the best run and cleanest yards (neat freak here) and the boats are beautiful. Afterwards, I was at the St Petersburg Yacht Club docks talking to a boat owner who said a 70 plus ft Marlow was here for a while. The owner was about to head out and shut the boat off. Then restarted and he heard a loud bang. Said it cost 200k plus. Something happened with the gasket in the underwater exhaust and it sucked water, all cylinders were full of salt water! Who knows what happened, or why. But just another story. I think 200 is a stretch unless he built both motors and did the entire engine room.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
    One broker (Judy Waldman) ore retired Captain, three active Captains ( one who owns a Hatteras) one Swedish boat builder, and a esteemed marine professional, but not one from the dealership, brokerage, sales, surveyors, or boatyard side of things.
    Please tell me who these other mystery “Industry Professionals” are. I’ve read everything that you’ve read -posted by that most prolific poster, who has a device( says he) that allows him to have his words translated into perfect writing, WITHOUT spell check changing words like it does on my tablets, but doesn’t have a cell phone with a camera.
    Yes, there were some issues with one of their largest builds, which did not effect the rest of their model lineup. Anybody who knows anything about the Yacht Business knows how lawsuits by heavy hitters put many out of business. It was a case of “he with the most lawyers”, of “screw this, I didn’t get into the boat business to fight with assholes” of why they went out of business. David and Marlowe is still there.
    You know who you didn’t see disputing this? ALL the actual professionals who had their accounts and EVERY post they ever made- deleted, that’s who! Carl runs that site like Jack Dorsey and Zuckerberg run theirs.

Judge Judy might not believe in serendipity, but I do, as four times (three times in Ft. Pierce of all places)Obama crossed my path as I was going about my business, and all four times I had a clear shot, but instead took out my cell phone and took photos instead. Just stating how easy it is to take actual photographs vs writing about it. I have photos of INSIDE busted open boats to prove my statements of their defects,
    I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Yachtforums and its posters. You said not one broker other than Judy. 933SR (?) is a broker I believe. There are some builders on there as well. Yes OB could be less authoritative. But I have found that he backs his opinions up. I think his take on Marlowes is there are some very satisfied owners out there and there are some very unsatisfied owners. It is kind of the luck of the draw. Marlowes appeal to me but I am not taking the chance on getting a boat with problems. Capt J has some backed up opinions on Marlows as well. You don’t come off very objective about Marlows either. Buy one if you wish but I don’t think you should cast dispersions on others who disagree with backup. BTW I don’t understand why a picture of one of OBs boats would prove he owns it. He could just take a picture of a Westport Riva or what have you and say it is. I suspect his reluctance to identify himself is to protect his privacy.

7. Re: Anybody know the 1988 65 MY Benchmark in Palmetto, FL?

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Yachtforums and its posters. You said not one broker other than Judy. 933SR (?) is a broker I believe. There are some builders on there as well. Yes OB could be less authoritative. But I have found that he backs his opinions up. BTW I don’t understand why a picture of one of OBs boats would prove he owns it. He could just take a picture of a Westport Riva or what have you and say it is. I suspect his reluctance to identify himself is to protect his privacy.
    My beef with the guy whomever he is, is that he’s posted over 20,000 posts on another yacht forum, over 6,000 on YF, telling of all his great adventures (two Loops on a 60 ‘something’ Sunseeker, Alaska, the entire West coast, Panama Canal, Bahamas, and Mediterranean) yet hasn’t posted one(1) photo of anyplace he’s been. Who hasn’t taken a photo when first transiting under the Golden Gate, or entering the Panama Canal, or the majesty of Alaska? A photo IS worth a thousand words, but instead he’s given us millions(?) of just words, that seem to me, just things he’s Googled, and I question the validity of said extensive cruising worldwide, with a young wife (who in my experience ALWAYS demand attention!) and still have the time to write so damned much, on so many forums, at the exact same time? Young women are like cats, and will sit on your lap, or keyboard if you don’t pay attention to them. It’s odd is what I’m saying. I mean who doesn’t have a cell phone, and doesn’t take photos of such fantastic locations? Plus me actually being 19 years older than someone who was calling himself Older Boat (when in his early forties when I first noticed him). and being of the old school of “believing nothing what one hears, and half of what one see’s” my bullshit antenna were raised. He, she, it, or whatever it is strikes me as a phony, although I’m certainly impressed with the depth of said Googling and the absolute perfect grammar without one misspelled word.. I can’t get my Spell Check to NOT change words I’ve written. And speaking of Yacht Forums, notice that Carl just locked a recent thread discussing Italian Yachts after a fellow called them out over the lack of facts. That was my point too, any person who disputes their opinions with facts is silenced.
    Last edited by Retired1; 05-12-2021 at 10:28 PM.

He’s retired. Nuff said. He can spend his time s he likes.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

[QUOTE=ADOPO;393960]Just spoke to the broker, he claims it is as nice as the video. I think I'll take a look at this this coming week.

I see the boat is pending did you end up making an offer? I am looking at a similar boat in Florida would like to brain storm if so.

[QUOTE=Dillonf;402238]
    Quote Originally Posted by ADOPO View Post
    Just spoke to the broker, he claims it is as nice as the video. I think I'll take a look at this this coming week.

I see the boat is pending did you end up making an offer? I am looking at a similar boat in Florida would like to brain storm if so.

Hi there, no, still looking, will be at the Ft Lauderdale show looking over brokerage boats, at least the few that are there. And have let to see what I would call a Bristol condition Hatteras.

Something interesting, we did www.nwexplorations.com Juneau to Ketchikan in a 46 Grand Banks and we loved it! My wife likes the 46 GB, and I am looking for a Bristol condition 2000 to 2006 GB Classic or 2007 to 2019 47 Classic. I met the coolest people on that trip, and one of the members, Larry and Donna, are Hatteras owners on this site, although I think he said he never post on here. He is an orthopedic surgeon near Philadelphia (I think) who owns a 53 Yachtfish that looked to be Bristol from the pictures. And it is a family boat, that his father owned before him. That's the kind of Hatteras you typically want to purchase. One that has a long history that is well maintained.