Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sea Dek

Sea Dek

Thinking about having SeaDek put in the cockpit of FINATIC (1984 52C). Any opinions would we welcomed!
    Thanks,
    Paul

Re: Sea Dek

Look at the dekit product. I think it’s slightly better made

Quote Originally Posted by finatic View Post
    Thinking about having SeaDek put in the cockpit of FINATIC (1984 52C). Any opinions would we welcomed!<br>
    Thanks,<br>
    Paul
    My deck is beat to hell and I'll have to do something. The back corners are soft. They're dry but soft - as if there wasn't enough support under that huge deck and the corners took the beating from dummies jumping on it over the decades. The entire deck is covered with a piece of non-skid vinyl. It's ok, but not Hatteras tip-top. Plus, I'll have to drill a bunch of holes to inject a high density foam into those soft corners.

I'm trying to decide whether to paint the whole thing and then paint a slightly different color non-skid, or just what?? I've been using this boat for sale for a model, and look closely at the pics when I'm wondering what to do with something. Whomever owns "Big Eyes" did a great job: https://fyiyachts.com/yachts/1985-hatteras-52-52c/ I'm thinking a good non-skid job could keep it original looking like that.

I just haven't seen one of our vast cockpits with Sea Dek or any cover like that. Not sure what to do, yet.

Good looking Hatt for sure. I've just re non-skidded my bridge using soft sand, and I like it--stayed monochromatic. All my decks could use a refresh, but it'll be a while with paint shortage. The cockpit should probably be next, but we'll soon be running out of optimum painting weather here--although a little less critical for non-skid.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Injecting spray foam or any of these other miracle cures isn't going to fix anything, you've got to cut open the deck and replace the rotted balsa with new coring, preferably foam like Coosa or Divinycell, etc. Of course you have to find where the water got in and repair/fiberglass that issue.

Not a big fan of Seadek, or any of the other "soft" (foam) deckings for big areas, don't like the grooves and also how they handle hatch openings.
    Do think some of the harder (PVC?) deckings have come a long way the last few years like Plasdeck, Flexiteek, etc.
    Last edited by Cricket; 04-30-2021 at 02:56 PM.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

52C in San Diego, just sold after 1week on the market. Not sure what brand this is but looks great.11208DE4-FE73-410A-9812-C773DAF25F75.jpg
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Their are pictures on the internet of sea deck on boats where it shrinks and the edges are burnt looking from sun exposure. I personally would never use Sea Deck or any of these products. You can get Sea Deck in a thicker form that is a snap in version verse being glued down, that I may use on a lesser quality boat, as it it not permanent. Sea Deck is very hot on the feet. I would prefer sea grass as a snap in or my preference is Teak. Your boat your choice. But for me I would walk away from a boat foresale that had Sea Deck installed, looks cheap to me and the owner is on the cheap and would reflect that with maintenance possibly. Rich

I have never had it on one of my boats... but after several photoshoots on production boats that had it, I would never have it. We spent hours trying to clean out footprints and skuffs. If you looked at it crooked it would stain lol.

btw, we never ended up getting the stains out, we had to clean them in post-production.

If it gets that dirty with models, clean feet and ultra care being made to keep the entire boat spotless, I can only imagine what it would look like with marina dirt shoe prints all over it.

I'm with cricket on your soft corners. It's easier just to do it right the first time. Cut it out and re-core it. I've never seen the injectable foam do anything but create a giant mess for the poor soul who will actually have to cut it out and fix it right.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Know someone with a Viking that has it on the cockpit.Teak look. He doesn't like it. Said it is hard to clean fish blood, etc out of it. It looks really good at the dock.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Know someone with a Viking that has it on the cockpit.Teak look. He doesn't like it. Said it is hard to clean fish blood, etc out of it. It looks really good at the dock.
    I saw the same thing on a charter a couple years ago. I loved the look of the stuff while we were out fishing, but noted that the mate spent a good hour with a power washer cleaning up the tuna blood leftovers. Not for me.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau