Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1984 8V71 Detroit turbo question

Does anyone here have a good source for turbos for our vintage Detroit motors? local shop has indicated mine can no longer be rebuilt and has had difficulty locating replacement.
    Brand and part number would be helpful as well.
    Jim
    1984 53' MY
    'Plan B'

Re: 1984 8V71 Detroit turbo question

Quote Originally Posted by Plan B2 View Post
    Does anyone here have a good source for turbos for our vintage Detroit motors? local shop has indicated mine can no longer be rebuilt and has had difficulty locating replacement.
    Brand and part number would be helpful as well.
    Any markings on the old turbo? If the shop says it can no longer be ordered they should at least be able to provide you with a part number, which I would take with a grain of salt. If you can get some pics or markings off the old turbo and post it will help others help you.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Hi Jim, two thumbs up on the heads. With 3 girls in the house, it's great to have working heads moored at the dock!

One of the fortunate things on my boat are 4 fairly new turbos from Diesel Pro Power. https://dieselpro.com/detroit-diesel-parts/8v71-engine-turbo/turbos.html
    I assume the 871s of that vintage are also Covingtons, like my 892s.

I've never quite understood why something so simple costs so damned much.
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 04-21-2021 at 12:49 PM.

usually the cases are good. Just order the inner chunk when needed.
    There is a metal tag riveted to this chunk that bears the turbo model and part number. A better shop can find you just the chunk for it.

[h=2][/h]
    "Does anyone here have a good source for turbos for our vintage Detroit motors? local shop has indicated mine can no longer be rebuilt and has had difficulty locating replacement.
    Brand and part number would be helpful as well"

Call Derek at East Coast Diesel Service 1-516-887-9220. Derek was very knowledgeable, patient, and helped me through the process of identifying and ordering the correct replacement turbo's for my port side 8v71Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by ralexa6808 View Post
    [h=2][/h]
    "Does anyone here have a good source for turbos for our vintage Detroit motors? local shop has indicated mine can no longer be rebuilt and has had difficulty locating replacement.

Call Derek at East Coast Diesel Service 1-516-887-9220. Derek was very knowledgeable, patient, and helped me through the process of identifying and ordering the correct replacement turbo's for my port side 8v71Ti.
    Looking Glass on here has had to do turbo replacement also - He has a video up on YouTube. I can't remember if he said where he got his turbo from, but it seems pretty straightforward. https://youtu.be/YEV8T8gMp60
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by ralexa6808 View Post
    [h=2][/h]

Derek found new turbos for my 6v92's for not much more then the price of rebuilding them. Very pleased.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Update:
    Thanks to all that responded to my inquiry. Very helpful input indeed. The exhaust housing was
    cracked around the connecting flange, therefore replacement was recommended. I was able to acquire two new turbos and had the charge air cooler serviced while everything was apart. Kept the good used turbo for a spare.
    Jim
    1984 53' MY
    'Plan B'

The tag on the bad turbo read:
    Model: TH08A64
    Part No: 406826-9022

The replacement turbo tag reads:
    408140-5001S
    XKM 56609

The Detroit Diesel site indicates part number DP- 8926192 should work.
    Jim
    1984 53' MY
    'Plan B'

That first P/N is not the part number of the turbo. Looks like the P/N of the exhaust housing. But if it makes you feel better, that is the correct exhaust housing for that turbo.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375