Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Plum tuckered out- A 15 week project

When I bought the Southern Drawl about 3 1/2 years ago there were two soft spots noted on the bridge deck. I knew they needed to be fixed but they were not that bad and I had fishing to do. Well they got a bit worse last summer and turned into 3 spots. I decided to start the repairs New Years Day being the weather is usually not great this time of year and the season is closed for alot of the fish I target. I started by sounding the deck with a hammer and marking the areas I would cut with a sharpie. I cut out the skin and saved it to put back down when completed. Here is what I found

IMG_1310.jpg
    IMG_1308.jpg

Re: Plum tuckered out- A 15 week project

Removed all the core and was going to replace with Coosa at $400/sheet. Then the light bulb went off that I would have coosa in 3 places and balsa in the other 2/3 of my boat. I bought some marine plywood at $80/sheet. It took 2 sheets. The marine plywood worked out to the perfect thickness, in two layers, as the balsa. Regular 3/4 and the questionable pressure treated was a bit thicker and would have been too proud of the existing core. I bonded the first layer, sealing it completely with epoxy, then the second. I stuck the old skin back on with epoxy and patched it in a couple places where I damaged it during removal. Used 1708 and a layer of CSM for this.

IMG_1319.jpg
    IMG_1328.jpg

I decided to go ahead and do away with the screws holding the benches and helm down. I wound up pulling them out and filling the holes with thickened epoxy. Put a fillet where they hit the deck. I had to remove the starboard bench completely as the rot was well under it. While it was out I also ran a conduit and a 3/8" copper water line from the main helm to the storage area at the aft of the bench. If I ever want to install a small sink or a light in the top of the storage area I will have the infrastructure in place. The voids left by the removed core made this chore quite easy. I bought one of those belt sanders with the little roller on the front and big on the aft. This made the fillet roll over easy. I also repaired and encased the port helm seat in fiberglass. It was previously Teak wood but had partially rotted. I filled with thickened epoxy and covered with a couple layers of 1708 and CSM. Water can no longer get in around the wood. Here are some pictures of that process

IMG_1330 (1).jpgIMG_1369.jpgIMG_1329.jpg

While I had the starboard bench out I took the opportunity to paint the deck and wall covered by the bench with some Awlgrip I had left from when I did my window frames. It was 3 years old but turned out perfect. Seeing the shine in this made me contemplate painting the entire bridge. I would wait and see how the floor turned out but it sure looked better than the dull Imron from 1985. I am getting weary but if the floor looks new it wouldn't be but a bit more paint and alot more work to repaint the helm and the rest of the bridge If I paint the helm though I have to deal with a bunch of electrical because I can't leave these old panels. Also what about the gauges. I would have to deal with them. After getting the non skid on the floor and seeing the new paint I decided I need to do this right and repaint the entire bridge

IMG_1409.jpg

Went ahead and painted the easy part, which is the forward portion of the bridge. I was glad I did away with the screws and glassed the bench in with a layer of 1708. I did the lids separately. I would normally "roll and roll" this type project but there was so many areas that needed brushing due to smaller sizes/details I rolled and tipped where I could and brushed much more. I used Oyster White Awlgrip which is supposed to be close to the original color. They matched as Vanilla White when I did the window frames but I couldn't tell any difference between the two when on a sample stick. The Oyster White is cheaper and easier to find. Wound up getting my paint from Fiberglass Florida. I was surprised at how well the paint came out. Had to go back over the non-skid in a few places as I didn't quite blow the Griptex evenly and left a couple of bald spots

IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

I decided if I had to remove all of the gauges in order to paint the helm it wouldn't happen if I was involved. I taped them all off. Once for the primer (545) and again for the finish coats. Also taped off around the eisenglass, rails, etc. Put Wal mart bags around the panels which really were trash anyway. Had to remove alot of switches, etc. It was a chore. Wound up brushing all of this with a 1" brush. Took the compass out and found a nice beautiful brass ring under the black paint. Polished it instead of painting. I had our print shop at work lined up to do new engraved plates for the switch panels. Had to replace a couple of the potentiometers and all of the rubber switch boots. The print shop had issues getting the engraver programmed so they printed me some stickers to put on plastic for a temporary fix. I think they look great but I'm sure the UV will kill them over time. Once tech support gets the software going to where the level of detail for these plates an be programmed into the engraver I should get some authentic panels. I replaced the old bulb lights with LED units. Also got new labels for shut downs, fuel tanks, and engine emergency shut down from Sams. Also put a new oil seal from Sams in the helm pump. It is too stiff but that is a separate project. I will deal with it later and call this one complete. April 17th, 15 weeks into the year, I think I am done and plum tuckered out

IMG_1445.jpgIMG_1442.jpg

Really interesting posts. I recently found the same soft spot on the port side aft of the helm. Mercifully, mine turned out to be bone dry. I’ve just finished the repair and new non-skid. Probably take some pics and post soon. Thanks for posting.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Alot of time and work but it looks well worth it. Very nice. I feel your pain with bald spots in the griptex. I have a few small spots in my swim platform. They are hard to see when you are doing it but look like a sore thumb once the paint dries.

Walt Hoover