Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mathers Micro Commander controls

I’m still having trouble with my Hynautic Controls and am seriously considering replacing the whole mess with an electronic system. Has anyone here done that and did it work out well? How much did it cost?
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Re: Mathers Micro Commander controls

I wouldn’t trade hynautic for electronics. Find someone that knows the system and fix it. I ve only used Morse and Cat electronic controls, never MMC but I ve heard issues with random engagement and shifting delays.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I had the Micro Commanders in my last boat and had one engine stuck in gear as I was entering a narrow fairway, was able to shift the other to reverse and get out of the channel, then I just shut down the controls at the breaker and then turned them back on and everything was ok. Scared the you no what out of me. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I was on on a 43 Roberson that had just had a complete refit and was out on a test run. All was perfect until pulling back into the slings. Someone keyed the SSB and the throttles instantly pinned!!! Luckily the guy on the mic knew it was him and he released the button. Talk about holy crap!
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I’ve never had any get stuck in gear, but the delay in shifting is VERY pronounced and VERY irritating.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

If changing, I would go with Sturdy

https://www.sturdycorp.com/marine
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The aging Hynautic equipment is becoming more and more problematic. It's rare when it operates as intended. Couple that with not many techs know and understand the system. A customer of mine did a retrofit with Sea Star electronics. The price was reasonable and he's happy with the performance of the new controls so far. Plus, sync is built in.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I do have the micro commanders at four locations on board our 58LRC. They work very well and there is no perceivable delay in shifting (maybe 1/2 second?).

I like the audible tone they make when shifting to the neutral position as I seldom look at the controls while docking and it assists me when moving the throttles/shifters in and out of forward and reverse.

FWIW, I do love the single level controls as opposed to separate throttle/shifters. Especially in tight quarters.

Glendenning makes controls too. I was impressed with the price and looked like an easy installation.......Pat

I have microcommanders installed by previous owner during repower/refit. They are good and still supporte. If I were installing today, I probably would go with a different brand, with Glendenning getting a serious look.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381