Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hatteras Fiberglass Tanks

Having issues getting the pickup tube in my 32ft Flybridge. Slides in the hole but there is something on the bottom that the tube us supposed to feed into that does not seem to line up right. No clue what it looks like on the bottom to know going on. Any of you guys who replaced tanks ever cut them open and see what the pickup tubes slide into? I even made a new pickup tube to assure its straight. Anyone have pictures of the inside of the fiberglass tanks that might show the sump area where the pickup tube feeds down to?

Jack

Re: Hatteras Fiberglass Tanks

there is a piece molded to the bottom the the tube goes through, this is to stop the fuel movement from breaking the tube off. keep picking it up and trying to find a hole. its there you just have to keep trying.
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Bill is correct. I just pulled mine from my water tank. I had to take a couple of other fittings out to get the elbow to turn. I was able to shine a flashlight in one hole and look in the other. There is a hole in the piece above the bottom of the tank. Is your tube straight? That could be the issue if its bent or the hole could be off some.

If the tube slides into a molded piece that fiberglass could the fiberglass be broken? Curious as to what keeps the bottom of the tube from being fuel restricted when you put it in the holder? Is the holder over the fuel sump somehow? Hard to visualize. I might have to open up the access hole and look in

Previous comments are correct. There is a piece of fiberglass at the bottom. I opened my tank for cleaning and here's what it looks like. In my case it's a keel tank but I assume they all have those pickup tube supports.
    Attached Images
    -------------------------
    Richard
    1985 Motor Yacht 48
    DD 6V92 TA
    Montreal, Canada

Guess i better take a closer look at this tab for damage. Or dirt

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    trying to find a hole. its there you just have to keep trying.
    Yep.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

This picture may help 45' series 1.
    Attached Images

Is that a filter on the bottom of the pickup tube?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackman View Post
    Is that a filter on the bottom of the pickup tube?
    Looks like a screen
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI