Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

St Pete Fl to Demopolis Al with the Bird on a 52C with Cats

Well, so much to tell with so little time, but y'all deserve a quick update. I will post pictures on Hatteras FB group and keep the conversation here. First, I want to thank you all because all the years of reading various posts here was invaluable in so many ways on the trip. From Duck Bills to Generator Impellers it was a blast and as time moves on the mechanicals, raging river, and negatives fade, and remaining are just the great memories. Thanks to Captain Randy for keeping us heading North, safe, educated, and damage free. We will definitely be finishing this trip together Lord willing.

Day 1 Thursday, Shake down cruise from Marine Max St. Pete to Clearwater Beach Marina. Changed genset impeller during the run and had some rope pulled from a fouled prop upon arrival.

Day 2 Friday, Crossing from Clear Water Beach to Carrabelle Fl with a feather hitchhiker that cuddled with the Captain. Fuel and C-Quarters and Docked at The Moorings. Dinner at Fathoms.

Day 3 Saturday, Carrabelle to the Wharf at Orange Beach Fl on the inside. Rode through a brief storm without incident. Apalachicola River Wildlife area was my favorite cruising on this trip! I believe we ate at the Yo Ho Rum and Tacos Restaurant.

Day 4 Sunday, a easy day from Orange Beach to Dog River Mobile Al. We ate at the Circa 1847 Mobile Yacht Club which was wonderful. We stayed at Dog River Marina and is a great mix of food, people, and facilities with good resources on site and available on a Sunday.

Day 5 Monday, Dog River to Bobby's. River was raging and full of trash. We got bored and decided to finish this leg at Night and on one engine. The Bird got it done! We tied up to stump at a place called Bobby's with the raging river going over the dam spill way off our stern it seems. Maybe it was just a nightmare I had, but that's what I remember. Peanut butter and Jelly for supper with the generator running. I might remember more later today when I leave my counseling session.

Day 6 Tuesday, Bobby's in Silas Al. to King Fisher Marina in Demopolis Al on one. Some periods of smiles and good times as we finished the last of bread for sandwiches for lunch. A great supper at the Red Barn in Demopolis Al.

So much more to tell and discuss, but I got to find a STB engine turbo for a Cat 3406e.
    Last edited by Eddieclemons; 04-15-2021 at 10:05 AM.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Re: St Pete Fl to Demopolis Al with the Bird on a 52C with Cats

Dang, son, we've got to work on your storytelling.

I'll share a few more details and some photos a bit later, but it was a good trip that could have been better and most certainly could have been worse. Examples, at least one tornado touched down about 15 miles ahead of us in Panama City while we were in the relative safety of the ditch. Nothing like having the Coasties come on the radio with an emergency weather statement which was, "50 knot winds, baseball size hail, tornadoes and waterspouts." In other words, Hatteras weather. We stayed on plane and ran straight at it until visibility dropped to virtually nothing, then we started chugging while standing ahead of the helm where it was relatively dry. Fortunately it was short and sweet, even though one lighting strike in particular came WAY too close for comfort.

Less than 48 hours after we passed through, Coffeeville Lock closed due to damage and will remain closed for an estimated 4-6 days. Talk about a BAD place to be stranded with one engine and no food. We're talking a whole lot of nothing between there and Mobile. All in all, I'm feeling pretty lucky and am looking forward to a less eventful part two.

Oh yeah, did I mention the water level at Demopolis actually had the entire dam underwater a few days before we passed through? The spillway falls were totally underwater when we went through.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I said quick update, no stories shared yet.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Enjoyed meeting u Eddie. When do y'all expect. To be back to the boat??course we are waiting for the lock to open and I'm gonna pad that a few days to let the barge traffic clear up some. 5 boats here at turner waiting to go north.
    CRAZZZY NUFFF

Okay, here are a few videos of the storm and of the bird that ended up on the Bird.

https://youtu.be/gup5sIdOGI0

https://youtu.be/qZPyHBOn4b4

https://youtu.be/qjPTQ2ruoV0

https://youtu.be/IQ2KawUoWf8
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Here’s what I shared on my Facebook page about the bird.

Okay, here’s the story about the bird pic I posted earlier. Signal here is lousy, so I’m not sure video will post.

We were cruising in the Gulf about 50 miles southeast of Carrabelle when this unusual bird started following the boat. It became very obvious he was looking for a ride and was at least 30 miles offshore. He didn’t look like a sea bird.

After a few failed attempts, I switched off the radar to see if that would allow him to land on the bridge. When that didn’t work, I told Eddie to drop us down to hull speed. That too failed, so we throttled back up.

Several more attempts were made, but he finally stuck a landing that left his rear end hanging over the edge. He rode there for about an hour and took off again. Some little bird picked a fight with him, but he circled around and came back.

This time, he stuck a landing on the railing at the back of the bridge. I eased over to that side of the boat to take his picture (again), and before I knew it, he was in my face! I thought I was recording it, but unfortunately not. Would have gone viral on YouTube for sure!

After fluttering around in my face, he landed on my knee. I talked to him as he just sat there looking at me. He almost immediately went to sleep, so I just sat there for a while. That started getting old, so he hopped up to the ledge ahead of me and stayed until we reached Carrabelle. He didn’t fly off until we were docking for fuel, or I would have recorded his departure into his new home.
    Attached Images
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Missed these two earlier of the bird.

https://youtu.be/DLYAUKn8K6g

Here’s where the bird landed on The Bird.

https://youtu.be/kviiXsy1zEU
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Glad you are home. Randy is good with single engine boats. He used to be a sailboater, did he tell you that?

Try Avenger (Derek) for a turbo?

One of you all looks much younger than I was expecting. Looks like a fun trip excepting the breakdown and the storms.

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    One of you all looks much younger than I was expecting.
    Thanks. I get that a lot.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93