Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: St Pete Fl to Demopolis Al with the Bird on a 52C with Cats

Man, did that run ever bring back memories. I'm sure all you long timers remember me bringing my 58TC from Palmetto, FL to Chattanooga, TN on just the port engine. I had the company of a couple of HOF'ers from Palmetto to Pensacola, then I was solo the rest of the way up.

That was back in 2007, and I think it's safe to safe I hold the record for most number of miles traveled on a Hatteras with one engine as I've done it several times since. Not a thousand miles worth as was the case with my first trip, but definitely over 500 on a single run since then with Dave and Trina on Benna... you know, the thing.

A little video of the single engine run on the Tenn-Tom. I swore I would never again run the Tenn-Tom at night after my inaugural trip on the 58, but we really didn't have much of an option for anchoring with the water being that high. Luckily Eddie's boat has a really good spotlight that's high up on the hardtop and doesn't destroy your night vision. Dodging all that crap was a lot of fun with one engine, but we both had turns at the wheel with that. "Baptism by fire", is the term Eddie used, if I remember correctly. He definitely saw it all on this trip.

https://youtu.be/cLmYy7t1h48
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

The Bird's bird looks like a Northern Potoo
    He would be a long way from home.
    Good job on giving him a ride!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_potoo
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post

That was back in 2007, and I think it's safe to safe I hold the record for most number of miles traveled on a Hatteras with one engine as I've done it several times since. Not a thousand miles worth as was the case with my first trip, but definitely over 500 on a single run since then
    What is the standard operations for running on a single screw if you have to shut down one engine .. do you lock the gears , let them rotate from drag .. just curious and would like to have that knowledge in my toolbox (43dc 671ti twin disk) Thanks in advance for any info
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

Oh yeah, SOMEBODY keeps telling HOF’ers to have a bottle of Goose onboard for me. Bob Bradley had one, and Eddie broke one out after we reached Demopolis and called it good. I really and truly am not much of a drinker at all, but I appreciated the thought. Yes, it went back into the freezer. I mean we didn’t have any cranberry juice or anything.

Eddie took a money shot of me with the bottle, so he’s welcome to share. I actually thought he sent it to me, but he didn’t.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Jims43DC View Post
    What is the standard operations for running on a single screw if you have to shut down one engine .. do you lock the gears , let them rotate from drag .. just curious and would like to have that knowledge in my toolbox (43dc 671ti twin disk) Thanks in advance for any info
    Yep, we locked the shaft, even though it too is a Twin Disk. Definitely a must on an Allison, but when it doubt, lock it out. Doesn't matter if you leave it in gear or not. I would suggest carrying a wrench the same size of the bolts around the tail shaft. That will let it lock up against a stringer, but I wouldn't run over about 1,200.

Dave and I broke a Crescent wrench on his 60MY even at that, but my primary concern is loosening the bolt.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by RonNP View Post
    The Bird's bird looks like a Northern Potoo
    He would be a long way from home.
    Good job on giving him a ride!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_potoo
    It was a Chuck Will's Widow. Posted a pic when it happened, and someone identified it.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Eddie sent me this a while ago, so here you go. I actually still have the bottle of Goose that Scotty B (he’ll like that one) gave me to celebrate my Gulf crossing on the one winged Bird boat. We’ll see what happens with this one on round two.
    Attached Images
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Wait a minute! Are you saying that I could have gotten away with feeding you pb&j sammiches?

I demand a refund!
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Here’s one of Captain Eddie at the helm.
    Attached Images
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Wait a minute! Are you saying that I could have gotten away with feeding you pb&j sammiches?

I demand a refund!
    Hey, I left you a bottle of Goose!

We only had sandwiches for lunch (except on that run up to Bobby’s) and hit restaurants for dinner. I’m cheap, but it takes more than a PBJ to keep me up and running.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93