Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do you tip - at the fuel dock on delivery?

I'd like ask the group for feedback on tipping at the fuel dock or when getting bulk fuel delivered.

In the case of the fuel dock: No special "extra" services, just looping two lines around a piling and handing you the fuel pump, maybe handing the pump-out nozzle.

Does size of the boat or how much fuel you take on matter?

In the case of the delivery: just bringing the hose across 100' of lawn and waiting for me to pump the fuel.

Thanks to all...

Re: Do you tip - at the fuel dock on delivery?

I almost always give a $20. I usually fuel at the barge in Miami. That’s anywhere between 200 gal for my own boat or 1600 gal for the “office”
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I tip. I realize I do most of the work, but, in particular, Annapolis City Marina generally hires attractive young women to run the fuel dock, so why not?

Well I just went from St Pete Fl to Demopolis AL with the Bird and the level of service and conversation/interaction with the fuel guys was all of other the place. I did a minimum of $20 everywhere regardless of level of service. On this trip for us the person on the dock was either a kid or an old grumpy guy and I promise you that the impression that you leave on that person has a much bigger impact on their day and future than you ever realize. Happy Tipping Brother.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Here in the California delta you have to do it all. Tie yourself up, pump gas, pump out waste. It’s all self serve. So I slip 20.00 into my pocket just because. Lol
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Yes I tip at the fuel dock. I do $10 if just fuel, $20 if pump out.

7. Re: Do you tip - at the fuel dock on delivery?

I always tip any service provider.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Yes... I will tip at the fuel dock as well... as well as almost any service provider....
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Most definitely I tip at the dock for services. I worked in the service industry when I was much younger and I do find a friendly face and good service upon my return to any dock. On the dock where we maintain the boat, my wife brings the dock masters office fresh baked goodies with some regularly and all the dock hands get a Benjamin at Christmas time. They earn it!

I tip service employees, but not service business owners. If you own the fuel dock or the fuel truck and you are setting the price for your services then if you need 10% or 20% more then up your price by that amount.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987