Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: A good starting price

Although my boat is in nice shape I am realistic. 80,000 seems to be a reasonable starting point then. It gives me room to look at realistic offers and pehaps reach a conclusion that a perspective new owner and I are both happy with. If the trip south does happen then it will be a grand tour where I could stop and meet other members along the way.

Thanks to all,
    Walt Hoover

Mr Clarckson, post pics of the marinetex filliets and paint, Im interested to see how easy it was to work with. Hopefully before Dr. Jims blood gets on it.

Well, a Hatteras flying bridge is probably the closest I'll get to heaven, anyway.

Dr. Jim, when I'm moving my boat from my winter storage to my yacht club it could be heaven. A nice sunny warm day on the fly bridge cannot be beat.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Although my boat is in nice shape I am realistic. 80,000 seems to be a reasonable starting point then. It gives me room to look at realistic offers and pehaps reach a conclusion that a perspective new owner and I are both happy with. If the trip south does happen then it will be a grand tour where I could stop and meet other members along the way.

Thanks to all,
    Walt Hoover

Mr Clarckson, post pics of the marinetex filliets and paint, Im interested to see how easy it was to work with. Hopefully before Dr. Jims blood gets on it.
    Well, I’m pretty pleased with the outcome. I used Interlux Perfection Snow White. I was fortunate to have bought a few extra quarts before the supply became tight. Even so, this is a great time to do a deck. That’s because the flattening agent is not in short supply. Going with a satin finish, the paint goes a long way at a 1:2 ratio. Twelve ounces of combined paint and flattener thinned to about 20% is what covers a 55C flybridge. Flattened Perfection seems to dry faster that the paint alone. With mild temperatures, light winds and low humidity, I was able to get a second coat on after five hours without evening dew concerns.

For grip, I used Soft Sand medium white for a pretty aggressive deck. I decided to mix in the grit and roll it on for a first coat. The SS recommended mixture is way, way off. I had much better luck cutting it back 75%. As expected, rolling did a good, but not perfect, job. I rolled a second mixed coat and augmented with a shaker—very nice coverage. Finally, I rolled a top coat of flattened Perfection. I am pleased. There will be some light sanding and a redcoat of the bench seat/helm skirting once everything has a few days to fully cure. That’s where I pulled the old sealant and went back with Marine Tex. Anxious to get to the non-skid, I did rush that job.

Might be a good time to mention I found a soft spot on the bridge. Found myself standing in a spot I usually don’t during an electronics replacement install. It was less than two square feet, but oh-boy was I sick. As luck would have it, DRY—as in arid, parched, dehydrated, desiccated dry! Thanks Brian for your post. My spot was in the exact same location as your port side aft spot. It was a good time to find it and a great time to fix it.

A day after the final coat, it looks really good. I like the rubbery feel underfoot. Also glad (mostly) I went with the medium grip on the flybridge since that's the rock'n roll center of the boat. I found out that medium grip means no more kneeling in shorts, though. It's like wearing cleats up there. I am a bit concerned the next time the grandkids come over. When it's time to do the cockpit, I think the fine grip will be the way to go.

Hard to get good shots.
    IMG_2815.jpgIMG_2811.jpgIMG_2812.jpg
    A bit of cleanup left, but good outcome I'd say.

Of course, the better the flybridge looks the worse the rest of the decks look. No Jim, I’m not afflicted with boat boredom.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Looks very good Mr. Clarckson. I have found that even using the fine grit Griptex its very rough and a knee skin abuser. An old patio chair cushion seems to help when doing work.

Walt Hoover

I'm afraid with all of these improvements Aslan my work its way out of my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Well, I’m pretty pleased with the outcome. I used Interlux Perfection Snow White. I was fortunate to have bought a few extra quarts before the supply became tight. Even so, this is a great time to do a deck. That’s because the flattening agent is not in short supply. Going with a satin finish, the paint goes a long way at a 1:2 ratio. Twelve ounces of combined paint and flattener thinned to about 20% is what covers a 55C flybridge. Flattened Perfection seems to dry faster that the paint alone. With mild temperatures, light winds and low humidity, I was able to get a second coat on after five hours without evening dew concerns.

For grip, I used Soft Sand medium white for a pretty aggressive deck. I decided to mix in the grit and roll it on for a first coat. The SS recommended mixture is way, way off. I had much better luck cutting it back 75%. As expected, rolling did a good, but not perfect, job. I rolled a second mixed coat and augmented with a shaker—very nice coverage. Finally, I rolled a top coat of flattened Perfection. I am pleased. There will be some light sanding and a redcoat of the bench seat/helm skirting once everything has a few days to fully cure. That’s where I pulled the old sealant and went back with Marine Tex. Anxious to get to the non-skid, I did rush that job.

Might be a good time to mention I found a soft spot on the bridge. Found myself standing in a spot I usually don’t during an electronics replacement install. It was less than two square feet, but oh-boy was I sick. As luck would have it, DRY—as in arid, parched, dehydrated, desiccated dry! Thanks Brian for your post. My spot was in the exact same location as your port side aft spot. It was a good time to find it and a great time to fix it.

A day after the final coat, it looks really good. I like the rubbery feel underfoot. Also glad (mostly) I went with the medium grip on the flybridge since that's the rock'n roll center of the boat. I found out that medium grip means no more kneeling in shorts, though. It's like wearing cleats up there. I am a bit concerned the next time the grandkids come over. When it's time to do the cockpit, I think the fine grip will be the way to go.

Hard to get good shots.
    Attachment 49155Attachment 49156Attachment 49157
    A bit of cleanup left, but good outcome I'd say.

Of course, the better the flybridge looks the worse the rest of the decks look. No Jim, I’m not afflicted with boat boredom.
    Looks fabulous Robert
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California