Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A good starting price

This is the summer to put my 42c up for sale. I'm going to retire in July and would like to be ready to buy when the right Hatteras comes along, unless it's Aslan then I know it's the right boat. Mr Clarkson just has to clean it up a bit. Anyway I'm asking the collective what is a good asking price. It's a 1973, fresh rebuilt cummins 903's naturals, very good paint and interior. I'm reasonable and fair, I know it's an old boat but lovingly maintained with receipts. My number is 80,000 but am open to offers. This is not a listing, just a test the water question for people that know these boats and watch the market more than I. Let me have it now, I'm ready.

Walt Hoover

Re: A good starting price

I looked at A LOT of boats for sale before I found my 52C. The really nicely kept 42s seemed to always ask $89,900. Those needing a lot of attention were $50k to $60k. The same goes for Post and Viking - the competition.
    If she's really ready to go, without doing anything functionally important, $89k is a bargain. That's what a 25' center console costs these days!

Obviously, someone's way better off buying a nicely kept 42 for 85k than buying a slob for $55k. The only problem is many people don't realize this until they've renovated a boat and had to replace all the expensive bits.

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    This is the summer to put my 42c up for sale. I'm going to retire in July and would like to be ready to buy when the right Hatteras comes along, unless it's Aslan then I know it's the right boat. Mr Clarkson just has to clean it up a bit. Anyway I'm asking the collective what is a good asking price. It's a 1973, fresh rebuilt cummins 903's naturals, very good paint and interior. I'm reasonable and fair, I know it's an old boat but lovingly maintained with receipts. My number is 80,000 but am open to offers. This is not a listing, just a test the water question for people that know these boats and watch the market more than I. Let me have it now, I'm ready.

Walt Hoover
    Don't blame it on me, Mr. Hoover. I've long ago sent you the color charts and fabric swatches.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Mr. Clarckson you have my apologies, I did not realize you were going to redecorate for me before the transaction.

Walt Hoover

Gentlemen, Walt needs to trade his boat to RAC. Walt wants a bigger boat, and RAC has run out of projects and things to clean up and improve. RAC is bored. No matter how nice Walt's boat is, RAC will find ways to improve it. So the only real question is this: how much money does Walt need to give RAC, plus Walt's boat, to become the new owner of Aslan?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Gentlemen, Walt needs to trade his boat to RAC. Walt wants a bigger boat, and RAC has run out of projects and things to clean up and improve. RAC is bored. No matter how nice Walt's boat is, RAC will find ways to improve it. So the only real question is this: how much money does Walt need to give RAC, plus Walt's boat, to become the new owner of Aslan?
    I see you’re still on the coke.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Walt Hoover
    When you have pictures, that you can share, feel free to send them my way. I'll share them with some folks that may be interested. See if we can keep her in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    I see you’re still on the coke.
    Well, that had about the success it deserved, I reckon. lol

Thanks Ryan, I have a whole file of photos that are minimized and easy to send. PM me an e mail address and they will be on the way.

As to Aslan, I don't want to interfere with Mr. Clarckson's improvements, let him go at it! If I end up moving it south maybe a trade can be worked out somewhere around Charelston? At least a lunch!

Walt Hoover

Thanks Ryan, I have a whole file of photos that are minimized and easy to send. PM me an e mail address and they will be on the way.As to Aslan, I don't want to interfere with Mr. Clarckson's improvements, let him go at it! If I end up moving it south maybe a trade can be worked out somewhere around Charelston? At least a lunch!Walt Hoover
    Count on lunch, at least. Meantime, I’m applying new non-skid to the James Rosenthal Pre-memorial Flybridge in an effort to stave off boredom.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC