Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Holding tank vent outlet location 43’C

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    At that age, its probably the pickup tube. Not as bad a job as you might fear. I found that a simple pvc flared kitchen sink drain pipe slid right down inside the hole. It's been a while, but it may have actually fit inside the old broken off pickup tube. I measured, cut it to length, notched the bottom end and slid it in. Added a little plumbers putty and screwed the fitting back on. It's been fine for over 15 years now.
    I believe in our 43'C, the access for the black water tank is in the master stateroom floor. I have not laid eyes on this yet. With that said, what does the set up look like where the pipe comes into the top of the tank? Is the there a thread fitting where the old pick up tube attaches to the pipe that goes to the pump out?

Does anyone have pictures of the set up? Before and after the fix?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hat43c1981 View Post
    Thanks for the tip! We purchased in May of 2020. The pump out has been an issue since we purchased it. I thought it was the pumpout at our marine not having enough suction. I am thinking it might be a few things causing the issues. A long plumbing run for the marina pump out and a possible clogged in the tank. Our Hatt sat in heated storage for about 20 months prior to when we took ownership.

Do you know the name of the tank cleaner you are referring to? The strong stuff. I typically just use the smell good tablets.

Thanks!
    Campa_Chem. Order online as I no longer see the good stuff on the shelves anymore. Been using this for years in my RV. Try this before you tear up anything in the boat like I did. Mine would pull some out and then slow down like a blocked vent but it was (for lack of better terminology) crap in the tank blocking the pickup. Easy to try and if you have to dig deeper the tank contents are somewhat neutralized by the Campa-Chem.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Campa_Chem. Order online as I no longer see the good stuff on the shelves anymore. Been using this for years in my RV. Try this before you tear up anything in the boat like I did. Mine would pull some out and then slow down like a blocked vent but it was (for lack of better terminology) crap in the tank blocking the pickup. Easy to try and if you have to dig deeper the tank contents are somewhat neutralized by the Campa-Chem.
    Thanks! I will try this. The symptoms you described are exactly what I am experiencing. I appreciate the help.

I believe in our 43'C, the access for the black water tank is in the master stateroom floor. I have not laid eyes on this yet. With that said, what does the set up look like where the pipe comes into the top of the tank? Is the there a thread fitting where the old pick up tube attaches to the pipe that goes to the pump out?

Does anyone have pictures of the set up? Before and after the fix?

Thanks!
    It's been a while. I recall removing a 90* elbow from above the pump out tube. It was in the master suite. I have the full berth on the stbd side, not the twin berths. Access was thru the floor. I can't remember the exact layout, but I recall it being simple. Unscrew the 90* fitting at the top of the tank. I think I used a wire coat hanger with a hook bent in an end to see how far down the pumpout pipe extended. It wasn't far. Again, its been quite a while, but I recall sliding a 1.25 sink drain fitting with a flared end, down into the original tube. I think the original was 1.5" and that the sink drain fit nicely into it. IIRC, I cut 2 45 degree angles into the bottom, so that it had a point at the bottom to avoid getting anything pressed against the bottom.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

It's been a while. I recall removing a 90* elbow from above the pump out tube. It was in the master suite. I have the full berth on the stbd side, not the twin berths. Access was thru the floor. I can't remember the exact layout, but I recall it being simple. Unscrew the 90* fitting at the top of the tank. I think I used a wire coat hanger with a hook bent in an end to see how far down the pumpout pipe extended. It wasn't far. Again, its been quite a while, but I recall sliding a 1.25 sink drain fitting with a flared end, down into the original tube. I think the original was 1.5" and that the sink drain fit nicely into it. IIRC, I cut 2 45 degree angles into the bottom, so that it had a point at the bottom to avoid getting anything pressed against the bottom.
    Bob, thanks for detailed information!

Bob, our 43'C has the same layout with the full berth to starboard. I was really hoping the bilge access for the black water tank was not under the berth. I believe it is in the floor next to it. Is that how you remember it?

Thanks!

Jordan

Ours is under the bed but once you remove access panels up top there are more on the floor of the storage area. Take a look. Out boats a similar age and type. Seems like with some effort I have access to everything.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Ours is under the bed but once you remove access panels up top there are more on the floor of the storage area. Take a look. Out boats a similar age and type. Seems like with some effort I have access to everything.
    Thanks for the information. I will look under the berth and start there.

Bob, our 43'C has the same layout with the full berth to starboard. I was really hoping the bilge access for the black water tank was not under the berth. I believe it is in the floor next to it. Is that how you remember it?

Thanks!

Jordan
    Yes. Definitely in the floor. Not under the berth. There's a hatch cut into the plywood right over it. You'll have to pick up your carpet, or whatever floor covering you have there, to access it. On mine under the berth (remove the drawers to access the hatch) are the levers to change between flushing directly overboard and flushing into the holding tank. Also the raw water inlet thru hull for the head's water supply.
    Last edited by Bob Bradley; 04-15-2021 at 02:47 PM.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Yes. Definitely in the floor. Not under the berth. There's a hatch cut into the plywood right over it. You'll have to pick up your carpet, or whatever floor covering you have there, to access it. On mine under the berth (remove the drawers to access the hatch) are the levers to change between flushing directly overboard and flushing into the holding tank. Also the raw water inlet thru hull for the head's water supply.
    Thanks for the info!!