Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Holding tank vent outlet location 43’C

I am trying to locate where the vent pipe from the holding tank exits through the hull of the boat. Typically, what do the vent covers look like on Hatts (this is my first Hatt). Would it be located just above the water line where the gray water discharges are? Thanks for your help!

Re: Holding tank vent outlet location 43’C

Not sure about the 43, but they are typically tube vents with wire half domes. Not covered like a modern vent.
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Barnegat lighthouse, LBI NJ

On my 79 43C it is on the port side. It is located behind the closet wall in the Vberth closet. If you are looking from the outside, look for it at the waterline about 4' aft of the Vberth port side porthole. Mine is just a brass mushroom vent. No cover.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    On my 79 43C it is on the port side. It is located behind the closet wall in the Vberth closet. If you are looking from the outside, look for it at the waterline about 4' aft of the Vberth port side porthole. Mine is just a brass mushroom vent. No cover.

Thanks for the information. All of mine have the 3 sided covers over them just above the waterline. I think I might have a clogged vent pipe so I am trying to determine with one it is without sticking my nose down there when the toilet(s) are flushed!

Why do you think it is clogged? Not pumping out?
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Correct. Trouble pumping out the holding tank. Starting with the vent pipe before I check the pick up tube in the holding tank.

Has it been sitting for years? Not the whole boat, has the holding tank not been used or pumped out in a long time? If so while vent line could be plugged with wasp nest or something like that first get holding tank treatment (not the flowery orange kind, the good stuff with formalgyhyde), dump it down the pump out fitting, wash down with an extra 10-20 gallons of water and go for a ride. Let it sit for a week. Then pump out. A guy in my neighborhood with a 48 he bought had this exact problem. Fixed it. This is how I got my tank to pump out.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

At that age, its probably the pickup tube. Not as bad a job as you might fear. I found that a simple pvc flared kitchen sink drain pipe slid right down inside the hole. It's been a while, but it may have actually fit inside the old broken off pickup tube. I measured, cut it to length, notched the bottom end and slid it in. Added a little plumbers putty and screwed the fitting back on. It's been fine for over 15 years now.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Be sure to seal under the flare when you slide it in.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Has it been sitting for years? Not the whole boat, has the holding tank not been used or pumped out in a long time? If so while vent line could be plugged with wasp nest or something like that first get holding tank treatment (not the flowery orange kind, the good stuff with formalgyhyde), dump it down the pump out fitting, wash down with an extra 10-20 gallons of water and go for a ride. Let it sit for a week. Then pump out. A guy in my neighborhood with a 48 he bought had this exact problem. Fixed it. This is how I got my tank to pump out.
    Thanks for the tip! We purchased in May of 2020. The pump out has been an issue since we purchased it. I thought it was the pumpout at our marine not having enough suction. I am thinking it might be a few things causing the issues. A long plumbing run for the marina pump out and a possible clogged in the tank. Our Hatt sat in heated storage for about 20 months prior to when we took ownership.

Do you know the name of the tank cleaner you are referring to? The strong stuff. I typically just use the smell good tablets.

Thanks!