Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

8D Batteries Napa vs Duracell

I need to replace the 8D batteries on our Hatt (4 total). The batteries are used primarily for starting the Detroits and powering a few lights/vacuflush system. We use the generator when away from the dock. Thoughts on Napa brand batteries and Duracell brand batteries. Thanks in advance!

Re: 8D Batteries Napa vs Duracell

A charter boat captain I knew had three 60' boats. All he ever ran were the NAPA 8D batteries. He claimed they were the best for the money.

I recall, East Penn makes NAPA and West Marine brand batteries.

If you have any warranty issues, Napa stores are located all over and you won't have any issues getting the credit due and a replacement. Duracell, I'm not so sure on that.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

All batteries are made to spec. East Penn makes good and crap per the contract. Walmart gets batteries from Johnson controls that are crap.

West marine has had more batteries returned by me lately because they die. After 2 replacement batteries in a year I get the customers money back.

I love the odyssey pure lead. Much better than anything out there except the northstar (their sister brand)

Anything else you need to know more about the one your being sold. They range from cheap to good.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Look into Rolls / Surrette batteries. They are more expensive than other brands but, if well cared for, can last 10 + years without a problem.

I bought 2 - 8D AGM batteries (gas motors) 7 years ago and they have never failed me. I expect 5+ more years of trouble fee service.

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC, Hull #377

Replacing my four 8D engine starter batteries after 14 years. Battery life is a function of charging and maintenance. I have a three stage Mastervolt inverter charger with temperature sensors. We check the water level every 6 - 9 months. I believe because of the charger, we use very little water.

Keith
    Lady J

Duracell that Sam's Club sells are Deka, as far as I can tell. Good and heavy and way better than the walfart stuff.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381