Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

White/grey smoke from Onan 20kw genset after 4 months disuse.

After a four month pause our 20kw spewed white smoke on startup this morning. It ran fine the last time we used it and since then I’ve changed the oil and filter, changed the engine mounted fuel filter and the racor. It smells like unburned fuel and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to either fix or troubleshoot it myself before calling for help.

We are anchored off Key Biscayne on our way to Bimini before our Covid tests expire on Thursday. Any suggestions of a place to call or go for service in Miami? We also could use a recommendation for a marina in Miami as well unless I can fix this myself. We have a smaller generator onboard, but I don’t want to go to the Berrys with only the smaller one operational.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Re: White/grey smoke from Onan 20kw genset after 4 months disuse.

Alex Precision Generator (786) 251-2800

He s worked on the 27.5 Ohnos we have on a the 84 I run. Good guy.

Dinner Key in the grove is your best bet. Still being rebuild so I m not sure thee take transients. Try calling them... if they say they don’t have room tell them I told you that I m not coming back with La Balsita till Sunday (pier 4 Tee head). But being a city marina they re a bit narrow minded.

Otherwise try Prime Marina or Grove Harbor. If not the Miami Beach marina but $ and lousy traffic
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Did the smoke remain after it warmed up? How did it run? Any sheen on the water ? White is usually steam but unlikely to be hot right away. Grey could be unburned fuel but there woudl usually be a sheen on the water
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I didn’t let it warm up in case that would do greater harm. It was before dawn this morning so I couldn’t see if there was a sheen. I tested it again after we anchored off of Hurricane Hole, but it was too choppy to see if there was a sheen, I’ll try tomorrow morning when it’s calmer. I did notice that the exhaust water was very dirty, more than I’ve ever noticed before. It had sort of a reddish brown tint to it.

Thanks for the marina suggestions! I’ll call Alex first thing tomorrow morning.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

Alex is booked up until next Tuesday, any other suggestions for a tech?
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

Lambs?
    You must like the abuse.
    Call Noah. https://all-powerpro.com
    He can meet you before you turn to the dark side.

The white , eye burning smoke is un-burned fuel from low compression.
    Valves and rings are my first suspects. Second guess could be a cracked injector base.
    Pull the valve cover and check clearances, looking for an obvious stuck valve.

Red-Neck fix next step; Half fill the secondary fuel filter with Mystery Oil and let it run for 30 minutes.
    This will help free up sticking valves and rings. Watch the injectors for smoke from them.
    Your going to make a lot of exhaust smoke so do this down wind from the docks or friendly anchorage.

He s the only one I ve used. Lmk text a couple of guys at the marina to see who they use.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Neighbor has left a message for his guy. Will let you know.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Put it under load. If the smoke is still there with it under load then look further.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"