Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Loran-C Interference Suppressor

Any benefit to having these on my alternators still? Loran-C and the unit itself are both long gone, of course.
    Attached Images
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Re: Loran-C Interference Suppressor

Comments per your invite;

Loran systems used pretty low frequency radio waves with clock signals riding these waves.
    It was pretty solid and usually free from noise interference.
    But, the equipment itself, having to compare clock signals pretty accurately, some with a mini O scope built in, early PLL crystal eliminators, mini tube numeric displays, and more; required noise free & high current power.
    I remember my Pierce-Simpson 6 channel VHF radio still had tubes inside. If you wanted clear reception and max output talking power, it had it's own battery very close by.

Most later real marine electronics have over come the demands of clean and high current supplies.
    LED and true low powered components, greatly more precise & faster computations using micro volts.

Although, it may still help; power spike, surge and noise can still happen and may even still be damaging. It's a poker game removing protection from your equipment and I am not going to tell you it is OK to remove it. At least consider relocating or updating.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 04-13-2021 at 06:09 PM.

When in doubt, throw it out.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    In concrete construction, we said when in doubt, pour it out.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I use that when evaluating meat or seafood for consumption suitability. I did however eat the last almond butter out of a jar I do not remember buying. In fact the last time I remember eating the stuff was 2008-ish. It's been a week. I'm fine. FINE YOU HEAR!
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay