Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another Little Project

Waiting on materials for the railing project, decided to see why the water tank guage wasn't working. It was a waterlogged cork float.. so I'm making a new float and pondering just changing in out for a resistor type sender and remote guage. I've seen the Hart Tank Minder system.. anybody converted to an electric resistance guage?
    Attached Images

Re: Another Little Project

These are great gauges. They just need a little maintenance every so often. Check your fuel gauges as well. They get pretty dirty and need some love once in a while.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Consider this as a replacement float instead of making one.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...t-05-03395.php

It is about $3.35 each
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

I converted to resistance type sender . No problems , check with Sam’s . Water tank gauges ( the original) , seem to be the worst for corroding and sticking .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Funny. Happened to have mine out this weekend. (Main water tank). It was binding and some bending seemed to improve it, as did a little rub with steel wool to smooth the rods. Still not 100%. Ordered some marine water resistant grease to make it a little more slippy.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

McMaster Carr carries a very good selection of sizes for those gauges. Reasonably priced as well.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I installed Moeller electric gauges in my water and black water tank to a gauge in the head. They work well but occasionally the holding tank sensor will get jammed with something and cause issues.

Walt Hoover

If I recall correctly, Rochester Instruments made these with mechanical and electric sender versions.
    Darn good senders.

Found them here;
    https://rochestergauges.com/product/8681/
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 04-13-2021 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    If I recall correctly, Rochester Instruments made these with mechanical and electric sender versions.
    Darn good senders.

Found them here;
    https://rochestergauges.com/product/8681/
    Unfortunately the Rochester sender head for the 8200 series won't work with the older units... you have to upgrade to the 8240 with a magnetic head, then add the sender to that. You end up with an analog guage and a resistor sender... The "but" is... $270 bucks each!

Well, it worked !
    Attached Images