Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Too close?

Hybrid View

Too close?

Somewhere buried in another thread Mr Clarkson mentioned a magnet/whacky compass situation which was an "aha" moment for me.... The PO's choice for compass sensor and Algae-X

So is this too close?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by oscarvan; 04-11-2021 at 08:56 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: Too close?

Try a hand held compass and move it around the area and see if/how much it's affected.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Try a hand held compass and move it around the area and see if/how much it's affected.
    Simple yet elegant and scientifically sound..... why couldn't I think oft that.

And the answer is...... Nope. The magnet has a serious effect on the handheld compass up to about a foot away. Down by the hull it's nothing.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Simple yet elegant and scientifically sound..... why couldn't I think oft that.And the answer is...... Nope. The magnet has a serious effect on the handheld compass up to about a foot away. Down by the hull it's nothing.
    You might have to de-power the boat other than AP and plotter. Then you can energize circuits and look for a swing. Or maybe the compass is just too close to the iron. In that case, detaching it and moving it even a few inches will produce change.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

The later flux-gate compasses can be calibrated. A special program helps them make a real 360 degree swing. Check your owners manual.
    I remember working on older APs like Benmar, a real compass with spokes in the card that an optical eye would read. No calibration on these beast.
    Other mfg's used this style and some are still in service.

I have also chased later compass issues when mounted close to bilge, sump and black water pumps.
    I remember an engine alternator driving one compass crazy at different speeds.

The best horror story; compass installed in the bottom of a state room closet. All was good till suddenly one weekend the AP went crazy; Found steel toed shoes in there also.

What model AP do you have?
    Find the compass and survey the area well. Could be a tool box close by.

Did I miss the comment that says what brand the A/P is? If it's a Garmin, I own one and have some related experience.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Yep, late model Garmin.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

is the garmin networked with other stuff through a nmea 2000 backbone? mine had similar problems until i put a terminator plug on the backbone. check to see if you have a terminator
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Is that the AP compass in the bottom of the pic?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Is that the AP compass in the bottom of the pic?
    Looks like the depth transducer to me.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present