Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beauty Bead

Beauty Bead

What type of caulk should I use for various Beaty Beads around the boat? Where the house joins the deck near aft quarter (75 MY) is particularly vexing. Everything I’ve tried eventually becomes a mold/dirt magnet and requires constant maintenance. I’m about to re-caulk the fly bridge area, aft deck and deck areas, ideally would get it right the first time...

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Brett

Re: Beauty Bead

I’m prepping to repaint my flybridge deck. I scraped all the existing sealant (looked like 5200) from the helm and bench seat to deck seams. Having the same issue you report, I went back with Marine Tex epoxy. It won’t be flexible, but it also won’t discolor.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Robert, do you think the marine Tex will crack, as it’s not flexible? I thought 4200 was paintable. I’ll have to go look as this same job is on my list as well. Are you going with the Perfection again?
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

I’m taking a hard look at 3M 3000UV, 4000UV and to a lesser extent their Marine Silicone. Plan on calling 3M technical hotline for advice on Monday morning, will report findings.
    Brett

Just say no to marine tex. It's the wrong product for the job.

If it's going to be painted do not use anything silicone based. If it's a finish bead use a good uv stable white. It may not last forever and the mold will grow on anything if the conditions are right.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Robert, do you think the marine Tex will crack, as it’s not flexible? I thought 4200 was paintable. I’ll have to go look as this same job is on my list as well. Are you going with the Perfection again?
    John, I’m hopeful as the area doesn’t seem to flex. The stuff is really tough. Yep, Perfection with soft sand, medium. One grit coat then a top coat and then maybe another with a flattener. I did the footrests on my chairs and they’re pretty hi gloss. They’re holding up well.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

That sounds good. You’re not having trouble sourcing the Perfection are you?
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    That sounds good. You’re not having trouble sourcing the Perfection are you?
    Spotty, but just bought some for $69/qt from boatersland.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

You might want to research Sika flex caulking. It comes in a variety of colors. You don’t have to paint it. I put it in the bottom of my skirts about five years ago and other than it gets dirty with normal dust it has not molded and it cleans up really easy. Don’t take my word for it please do the research.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I've used 4200 as when it's exposed to sun, it yellows to almost the exact color of the Hatteras off white. I've used quite a bit last summer and no mold yet.

For general purpose sealing I also like Dow Corning 790. I've used the DC 790 for over 15 years with very good results.

DOWSIL™ 790 Silicone Building Sealant | Dow Inc.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL